1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My new brooder!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nuttyredhead, Apr 2, 2011.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    My father in law made me this! It is to combine the 2 brooders i have that are taking up alot of space in my coop! It was made from materials in his basement!!!!

[​IMG]

Here are my little ones! THe almost 3 week olds are in the top with Mama, and the almost 7 week olds unnder, still with mama!
    [​IMG]

Here are my big girls when i opened the door!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That's very cool!

And I bet it's the perfect size for an EcoGlow brooder if you had really young chicks to brood. (Otherwise, putting a heat lamp in either section might be hard to regulate.)

I'm using an old dresser with just the bottom drawer in it as a brooder, with an EcoGlow unit. The top drawers are out (using them as community nest boxes in a new coop) and I have a hardware cloth fence around the dresser. The cross bars that helped the upper two drawers slide in and out are perfect as little roosts for the chicks.

Your brooder set up is much more effective an operation than my dresser....

3. Kathi D

Kathi D Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    ATASCADERO, CA
    It is just fantastic what you all come up with! Such clever ideas for reusing items!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by