My New Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickens_in_fallriver, Jul 20, 2011.

1. chickens_in_fallriver

chickens_in_fallriver Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Hello All,

Our Family is getting ready for the arrival of our chicks this weekend. We wanted to share the brooder we made.

We decided to use a large 54 gallon tote. I cut the top off and zip tied a piece of Hardware cloth that I had hanging around. I drilled two little hole to pass the zip tie through.

I was very concerned regarding heat. I put a lamp on the inside and wired it to a dimmer switch. I tried a few types of bulbs and I'm currently using a 60 watt. It is currently 90 degrees below the lamp. The rest of the brooder is at 80 degrees. I will adjust based on the needs of the chicks.

This was really easy to make with a minimum amount of tools. I also like how easy it is to clean.

Materials List

54 Gallon Rubbermaid Tote (Home Depot)
    Brooder Lamp (Home Depot)
    Dimmer Switch
    Hardware Cloth
    Zip Ties

Total Cost - $40 to $50 estimate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Nice ..

I know you'll enjoy your chicks!

[​IMG]

3. chickens_in_fallriver

Jul 13, 2011
    We are getting three silkie bantoms this weekend and getting five more on August 8th. Do you think this going to be a problem using this brooder for all of them. I'm concerned about the age difference.

4. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Awesome, good job thanks for posting pics [​IMG]

5. jmjmcelwee

jmjmcelwee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Dillsburg, PA
    This is very similar to what we made for our 8 chicks that are just 9 days old now. Lots of room to roam! But my lamp is on the outside of the brooder...as they get older, they like to jump/fly so you may end up moving it to outside the brooder.

Good luck!

6. chickens_in_fallriver

Jul 13, 2011
    Quote:Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to place some screening over the opening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by