My new brooder

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wise Woman, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    I have been hassling my husband for weeks to get me a watermelon box for a brooder. He kept saying it wouldn't work, it won't fit, yadda, yadda, yadda. Well yesterday he finally brought me one. I spent all evening cleaning the mess out of my shed the chicks made because I had them in dog cages. I put the watermelon box in, added a perch and viola. No more mess. It is great. I will be cutting out the lid and adding chicken wire tonight so I can keep them in as they get bigger. This is working really well and was free. I highly recommend then. I don't brood chicks that often and so building something was overkill and we wanted to put the time and money into our new coop.

[​IMG]

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks great!!!!!!

3. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    If only there were still a melon for the residents.

4. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    Quote:LOL! Their day is coming. They aren't too keen on treats yet. I did put a corn on the cob in there just to see what they would do and they all backed away from it and look at it like it is going to attack them. So far they do not want bananas, oatmeal, yogurt or honeydew. They are just 4 weeks old so it will take a little time I suppose. Some of my chickens take to treats a lot quicker than others. I am going to try egg yolks next and see if they like that. I am sure within a few weeks, they will have learned that the treats are good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by