1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my new broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wife2abirdman, Feb 20, 2013.

1. wife2abirdman

wife2abirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Houlton Maine
    My Coop
    Ok so I have only dealt with this once but back then I didn't really care if we got a chick or not. Now I care, so now I need info. I have a hen that just went broody two days ago. I had taken all the eggs out as they aren't fertile right now nor do I want mixed breed chicks. But she still keeps going back to an empty nest. This morning I decided to put an egg under her just so she wouldn't leave the nest. I wanted to see how long she would sit on the nest because I know that some new setters jump off within the first week or so I've heard anyway. I am getting two new hens and the breeder says they are both laying and they were both in a breeder pen. So now I am hoping I can get some fertile eggs from them and I was thinking of putting them under my new broody! I have a ton of questions about this. First if my broody "DB" does sit the whole time will she only sit exactly 30 days or will she sit till the eggs hatch? I ask because I won't get my other hens until Friday and even then I might not get the eggs from them(if I am super duper lucky) until next week[​IMG] so if she is already sitting then she'll be a week off from the eggs-I hope I explained my question right. Another question is if she jumps off the eggs and I have my incubator running can I quickly put the eggs in there? What are the chances, if they are fertile and if she hasn't been off them too long of the eggs hatching? Also should I leave that infertile egg under her for to long? I know it will eventually go bad but how long do I have? If I take it out will she get off the nest? I only did it because I actually wanted her to stay on the nest. Oh yeah I don't know if I said it she is a Cochin hen. I can't breed her because of a defect and it was actually funny timing as I just decided the night before I would have to give her up. Then she jumped on my shoulder as if to say please don't sell me[​IMG]. Then that afternoon she started to stay in the nest. I know it was only timing and not more than that but still she is my sweetheart and I am trying to convince my husband she is useful afterall![​IMG]

So any info would be helpful thank you.

2. ChckenBoy13

ChckenBoy13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Claremont, NC
    I don't know about the majority of broody hens but I now that mine set on the nest even when their wasn't eggs. She sat there for about 2 weeks until I finally moved her into a separate pen for her to hatch chicks! She is now the proud mother of seven little babies! About the eggs: An egg can be out of an incubator or out from under a broody hen for about 30 minutes before it becomes risky. Hens naturally get off their nest every 4 to 5 hours to get something to eat and a small drink so there is no need to worry about that! You can either remove the egg or keep it under her, just do which one you think is best for her. I personally prefer golf balls underneath my hens so that I continue to get fresh eggs! Also, how long has she been in the nest?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
  3. Sakmeht

Sakmeht Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    As far as I'm aware, a hen will sit longer that the normal time it takes to hatch an egg. At least I've seen that
    pop up here on the forum now and again. As far as the infertile egg, if she seems dedicated to that nest, you
    could sub it out with a wooden egg or a golf ball and I bet she wouldn't skip a beat.

I'm sure someone else with more knowledge will also chime in.... :)

Sarita

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by