my new call ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MNmommy, Apr 24, 2009.

1. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    I just got back from a long car ride and have 2 new call ducks!! They are about 4-5 days old and are so cute. They are a little nervous so I am just going to leave them alone for awhile before I start lovin' on them [​IMG]

About what should the temp in the brooder be???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I would keep the brooder about the same temp as you would with chicks at this age. 85 degrees?! I think that's it after a week old.

By the way, that larger one looks like a rouen duck not a call to me?

BUT THEY ARE SOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I couldn't hold off the lovin' and cuddling too long.)

3. MNmommy

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    thanks

I got them from a call duck breeder and she said it is either going to be a blue fawn or something else....she couldn't tell yet until the feathers started coming in....they both better be calls [​IMG]

4. MNmommy

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    well I have had them for over an hour and the one has not stopped peeping. It is drinking and eating but won't stop peeping. the temp is at 85 and they don't seem cold???

5. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    the light brown one might be a rouen but also could be the size of a call.

6. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    it could be a grey or pastel too...
    just make sure they have a really warm spot light to go under if they are cold...lower the light and see how they react...also make ultra-sure the bedding stays dry...[​IMG] have fun with them!

7. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    I would guess a blue fawn and a black bibbed....they are calls.

Make sure they can get away from the heat if they want..the one pipping is probably a girl. Also make sure they can stay dry, little call ducks can drown or get too wet and get cold

8. MNmommy

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    The peeping would not stop and it seemed like the one was calling out for someone, so I put them in with my 1 and 2 week old chicks and they were soooo happy and didn't hear any peeps the rest of the night. I know the breeder had them in with her serama chicks so I think they feel "homey". The chicks are good with them, one chick is doing just a little picking at the fuzz butts but just barely.

My question is the waterer I have in there is the small red bowl with the qt. plastic jar. this one http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_34408_______14602|16201|34408?listingPage=true&Special=false

so
    the ducks can't get their entire beak in the water and I read that they have to dip their beaks all the way up to their nostrils?? Is this true or is it fine that they don't? They are able to drink the water fine I have been watching.

9. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    yes it is ture that they need to did the hole bill in the waterer

10. MNmommy

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    Quote:so if I put a bigger dish in a few times a day will that be enough?? I just don't want to leave it in all the time incase my week old bantams fall in and drown

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by