My New Chick Nursery – Collapsible Brooder for Easy Storage

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickensweaters, Mar 4, 2012.

1. chickensweaters

chickensweaters New Egg

Mar 4, 2012
    We used collapsible kennel panels as the basis for our brooder design. This seemed practical since we had the panels on-hand and they were not being used for any other purpose. One set of panels creates a 4’x4’ square pen. You can find an equivalent product at Petco. At the moment, this panel set is on sale for only $34.97!!!

Supplies List:
    • (1) Box 1 ¼” Screws - $6.47
    • (6) 1’X4’ Boards (Used to Frame the Lid) – $11.76
    • (1) 4’x4’ Piece of ½” Hardware Cloth (Screen Used for Lid –We Used a Scrap from Another Project) - $0.00
    • (2) 3” Hinge Sets (Used to Create a Folding Frame for the Lid) - $4.94
    • (2) 1’x6’ Boards (Used for the Bumper Board Around Bottom) - $15.96
    • (1) 20x20 ‘ Tarp (Used to Provide Insulated Floor for Shavings) – $54.99
    • (1) 20’ Roll Chicken Wire (Extra Security so Small Chicks Stay Put)- $9.99
    Total Cost (Including Kennel Panels): $139.08

Of course, to complete the setup you will need shavings, heat lamp, bulb, perches and containers for feed and water. Now, I just need some CHICKS! Luckily, they will arrive in two days – thanks to McMurray Hatchery. Can’t wait!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KingOfThePeeps

KingOfThePeeps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2012
    Nicely done! How many chicks are you getting?

3. chickensweaters

chickensweaters New Egg

Mar 4, 2012
    Thank you! I am proud of the result. We ordered 25 chicks - I am splitting the order with my sister-in-law. We will transfer them to the larger outdoor run after a few weeks. Hoping the chicks will love our warm Florida climate!

4. KingOfThePeeps

KingOfThePeeps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2012
    Good luck!

5. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    Nice job. I use a dog crate for the first few weeks then use the dog pen like you did. You are a little more fancy than I was, but will likely incorporate some of your ideas into this year's group

6. prescott2k

prescott2k Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    Dixon, CA
    Great job, that's awesome!

7. LaLa Chickie

LaLa Chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2013
    I went to Albertsons, Grocery store and got one of their heavy duty cardboard Pumpkin containers, put my babies in it, in the house and it worked great. Then I clipped on a light, put a cardboard box inside with wood shavings, and a netting over the top...I always put Beach Towels over them at night to make it nice and dark and love to listen to them coo themselves to sleep...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jlynnp

jlynnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2014
    Sparta, TN
    I know this is an older post but I am making this tomorrow! I have a 24" tall puppy pen and will be converting it to a brooder!! I have around 70 quail due to hatch in July and this will work perfectly!!!

9. Liz C

Liz C Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2014
    yes, nicely done, I have a collapsible dog kennel I got from walmart folds out very similar to yours, so essentially same thing always works good because you can move it around and fence it in as they grow until they are ready for the"big house'.I like your cover to sometimes you have to be able to cover them up, walmart again get one of those 2 or 3 dollar plastic flannel backed tablecloths you can get long or big square one...great cover cuz you can hose them off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by