My new chicken feeder, PVC just completed tonight

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickentooth, Dec 30, 2012.

1. chickentooth

chickentooth Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Hartland, Michigan
    Double hopper style made from PVC holds approximently 15lbs. of crumble, also added a rain/ snow sheild to keep food tray dry.

This is my first post but i love making new thing for the chicks, i have seen variations of feeders like this but nothing exact.
    [​IMG]

2. HooverHenHouse

HooverHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Michigan
    Have you used it yet? Does it fill all four holes, I saw a version today, and thought it would reach the 1st hole, and just fall out instead of filling the middle wholes.........But theres a reason why I dont make these kind of things lol.

3. chickentooth

Dec 30, 2012
    Hartland, Michigan
    I filled it this evening and yes it fills all four holes and doesn't spill out. The girls haven't used it yet though my fear is that they keep pulling food out onto the ground and empty it onto the ground. I'll have to wait to see. In order for it to spill out from the holes on the ends like you mention it would have to have enough force to fill the whole horizontal tube, or have them holes located directly under the hoppers.

My plan was to put crumbles in one side and then scratch in the shorter side, and i still may do that but I also thought it would hold more food than it does, my calculations were way off for volume.

Thanks for your reply.

4. HooverHenHouse

Apr 26, 2012
    Michigan
    Let me know how it works, looks easy enough to build..and would get the feed off the floor. Im thinking mini ones would be awesome for a brooder for chicks.

I just came across photos of horizintal ones, with a J ending at the bottom, and they used one for scratch and one for cracked corn. Those looked nice too.

5. chickentooth

Dec 30, 2012
    Hartland, Michigan
    News on my feeder

It works great and they seem to love it. There was some concern that the food might not flow properly or that it would all spill out, that is not happening. It keeps the horizontal tube about half filled at all times and the holes are perfect for their heads. I was concerned that they might bump combs or wadddles when they peck at the feed but the holes are 2-3/8" and that is perfect for the depth of the bottom tube for reach.

If anyone would like one i can send info on what i used or i could even make you one like it. I am going to write a list of materials and approximate prices i paid for each item.

2 3" PVC T's 3.50 each
    2 3" PVC threaded clean outs 3.50 each
    2 3" PVC threaded covers for top 2.00 each
    4 2" PVC end caps inside the t to make the food flow without filling the T's 1.50 each
    2 3" toilet flanges 4.00 each
    1 24x24" lexan i bent for rain and snow sheild 6.00
    36" piece of threaded rod i had laying around
    10' PVC 3" 9.00
    all at home depot

6. HooverHenHouse

Apr 26, 2012
    Michigan
    Awesome news! Thanks for the supply list. =)

7. chickentooth

Dec 30, 2012
    Hartland, Michigan
    A very important update on this feeder!

When i went out today to check on how it is working again, My rooster was bleading and there was blood on the round opening where they eat. He has a very large comb and as he pecks at the food he must have cut it open.

The fix for this is quite obvious I took and cut the whole tube open so now it is just one big opening from end to end, no more holes just a trough.

Just wanted to update in case anyone is building one.

8. nwredrooster

nwredrooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Oregon
    Thanks for sharing your success, set back, and solution. Looks great in the photo, very professional looking. Really appreciate that you shared your learning experience as well. Very cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by