My new chicken is sick? Help

siroco

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 15, 2013
: ( I am rather sad... we bought a new hen about 6 weeks old, she doesnt lay eggs at the moment. Yesterday she was running like a twister and in the afternoon she started limping from her right leg. I grabbed her and noticed a lesión (like a bloody bruise) and her shank was swollen. I thought she may have hurt herself from jumping around in our backyard, so I patched the injury; however, today she is laying with her bad foot resting and also she has her eyes closed most of the time breathing from with her beak open . Her alertness remains the same but she looks sick. Her feces are also lime-greenish liquid color, not normal from the rest of our chickens. She lives with a rooster and another hen, these two are healthy, which I am afraid they may get whatever virus the ill hen may have. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!
barnie.gif

I would put her in a cage with food and water to rest her leg. It sounds almost like she was injured, and could have had some internal injury too. Was the skin on the leg bleeding? Could she have broken the leg, or do you think it is an infection? Her droppings could be a sign of not eating or several other things. A picture of the leg and any dropping might be helpful.

This is her, she "looks" healthy, drinks and eats well, but her leg concerns me a lot, she cant move that leg and its hardened. I putted her aside from the other two, as they were really aggressive towards her; she is getting a very good downtime. Her leg was like that out of the blue. Do you guys have any idea what this might be and how can we treat it?
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom