My new chicken ramps

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I actually made these a few months ago...but just remembered I'd not shared! [​IMG]

These are the little ramps that the chickens use to enter/exit the coop. They were tracking in dirt & tracking out shavings. Plus, the cochins were getting their foot feathers really nasty in the runs. I first put in 5,600 pounds of sand into the runs...just the thought is making my back & wrist hurt again! LOL

The next step was making the ramps. We just used scraps (and we had LOTS of scraps) laying around.

I went to WAL-MART and bought two astro-turf boot-scraping mats.

I then gathered all of the supplies...cordless drill, screws, tape measure, perm. marker, gloves & box cutter knife.

[​IMG]

I used the measuring tape to measure the size I needed to cut out of the mat. I then used the perm. marker to draw a line where I needed to cut. I cut out the shape, using the box cutters & heavy gloves. I then screwed the mat pieces into place on to the ramp.

Here is a completed ramp:

[​IMG]

The chickens don't seem to mind at all...and now that there is sand in their runs, the mud stays out even more and the shavings in. Another benefit I've been seeing (and hadn't planned for) is that it also helps scrape some of the snow off their feet before they enter the coop--keeping my shavings drier and the humidity down in there.

Here is a photo of the ramp in my Sumatra pen...you can see all of the shavings that were trapped in the mat:

[​IMG]

And so far, I've hosed them off twice and then just put them back up!

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Wow more great ideas to add to my coop. Thanks!

3. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Awesome idea! Thanks for sharing.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Nice!

We certainly do have smart and inventive folks on here...

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Thanks!

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Yup, you're welcome!

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Thank you!!! [​IMG]

8. Rare Feathers Farm

I thought I'd add the mats were $3.44 each

9. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    [​IMG].

Great!!!

10. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Zowie! A carpeted chicken ladder. Are your chooks spoiled or what ? They look neat.

I just did pressure treated deck boards with 1" cleats that are 1/2" tall every 4". When done I coated them with motor oil and let them set a day before mounting them. The poop does not seem to stick to them long as rain seems to knock it off, and the chooks never slip either. They are at a slope of 4:1 for outside ones and 3:1 for inside ones. I would bet that my chickies would like yours better. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by