My new chicken run built with blood, sweat, and very few tears

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rumba4u, Mar 29, 2017.

1. rumba4u

rumba4u New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Built this chicken run with my dad. Bought the coop secondhand but all the rest was hard manual labor! My 4 chickens love it! Omg, lots of $$$, blisters, scrapes, cuts etc went in to the making of it. It was all worth it!

4x4 posts above ground on metal set in concrete
    1/2 inch hardware cloth for all sides (and ground soon)
    2x4 for support beams.

1 person likes this.
  2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    :thumbsup

3. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    Well done!

4. Birdinhand

Birdinhand Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    very nice work! I see two seams on the top that do not appear to be closed. I'm guessing you are going to close them but just in case, I thought I'd pass on a sad tale of a friend who left some gaps like that, they lost a bunch of chickens to racoons. making sure they fencing goes two feet into the ground helps with rats too.

5. rumba4u

rumba4u New Egg

Mar 21, 2017

Closed already! We have coyotes, hawks, turkey vultures all vying for the extra protein in the neighborhood. Next will be to cover the hardware cloth along the support beams with some wood to help prevent oxidation damage at weak points.

1 person likes this.
  6. ScottandSam

ScottandSam I'm still here. Premium Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Shell Knob, Missouri
    In hindsight it may have been better to trim that limb that hangs over your masterpiece before all the hardwork was completed. I'd hate to see that fall and strain the hw with its weight.

Scott

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by