My new chickens came with NO info - I THINK I've IDd 1/2 - Help please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CrazyerThanAverage, Feb 22, 2011.

1. CrazyerThanAverage

CrazyerThanAverage Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Oro Valley, AZ
    I am fairly new to chickens (< 1 yr) and I just picked up 8 new chickens that were being sold through the Tucson Community Food Bank. They look great, but since the owner was not available, and the person helping knew less about chickens than me, I didn't get much info on them. I would love to figure out what breed and age they are, but definitely need help from those with more chicken knowledge than me to figure it out. The flock was supposed to be of mixed ages and all hens. (I discovered they were mistaken on the hen part when I picked up a young, nice looking hen and got spurred. Ouch!) I've made my best guesses; please let me know how I did and what you think of the mysteries. I won't be getting rid of any of them based on what I find out, I'd just like to know more about them. Thanks!

Hen # 1 - I think I know the most about this one. I think she's a Buff Orphington around 1 year old. She's more developed than my almost-ready-to-lay BO and less so than my ~2 year old BO.
    [​IMG]

Hen # 2 - She looks like a Barred Plymouth Rock to me, but they said the owner had called them Dominique. *edited to add - she has a single comb.> 1 year, but < 2 years.
    [​IMG]

Hen # 3 - I'd say Barred Plymouth Rock again, but they aren't supposed to have rose combs. Any thoughts? > 1 year, but < 2 years.
    [​IMG]

Hen # 4 - I'm fairly certain she's a lovely colored Easter Egger. Hope she lays green (or blue) eggs! Around 1 year old.
    [​IMG]

Hen # 5 - I didn't know what she was when I brought her home, but after browsing the breed index, I'll guess Black Star/Sex-Link. Around 1 year old.
    [​IMG]

Hens # 6 & 7 - Two more Black Star/Sex-Link. Around 1 year old.
    [​IMG]

Hen # 8 - My biggest mystery. Is she a very brown Black Star/Sex-Link, a Welsumer, or something else? Around 1 year old.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    The second and third ones are Dominiques. They look like Barred Rocks, but have a rose comb. (I think the pattern is different too, but I don't know much about them). The rest all look like you have figured them out pretty well. I'm not sure what the last one is, maybe a Welsummer?

3. CrazyerThanAverage

Oct 11, 2010
    Oro Valley, AZ
    Thanks, acid_chipmunk. It's nice to know I'm getting better at this chicken stuff. If Dominiques have rose combs then # 3 is most likely a Dominique. #2 has a single comb so that probably makes her a Plymouth Rock. Hopefully, someone else will know what #8 is.

Here is another view of #2 that does a better job of showing her single comb.
    [​IMG]

4. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    just wanna say in pic 2 you caught her in the act of pooping...[​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair &amp; Feathers

Hens also have spurs, by the way. Some do, some don't. Spurs aren't only on roosters.

Nice looking hens - great adoption!!

6. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] *snort [​IMG] [​IMG]

Would of never noticed that LOL Good eye!

AC

7. CrazyerThanAverage

Oct 11, 2010
    Oro Valley, AZ
    Quote:I didn't realize it when I took the picture, but after I had it big on the computer, I suspected that was what was happening. Certainly couldn't have gotten that if I tried!!

8. CrazyerThanAverage

Oct 11, 2010
    Oro Valley, AZ
    Quote:I did not know hens could have spurs. Might have to go back and get him/her...or "it" will probably be eaten.

Yes, they are great looking hens, not very skiddish, and seem to be settling in well. They even "gifted" me with an egg on the way home!

9. chickenaddictntn

chickenaddictntn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Great Poop Shot. #5 looks like a mix, you are right on the rest of the girls.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Buff Orpington, Dominiques, Easter Egger, Black Sex Links.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by