My new chickens nasty feet. *PICS*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by watchdogps, Sep 14, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Not great pics, I'm sorry, but I'm trying to do this alone and with a crappy camera.

This is the rooster with the worst feet. The red isnt an open wound, it is coloration on his foot. I know the pics are terrible, but I'm hoping someone can see something clear enough...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now this one is a little different. His feet are not red, but they seem very fleshy and scaly maybe? [​IMG]

Niether one seems to have trouble roosting or walking.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Google Scaly Leg Mites

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Oh that poor poor dear roo.

One of the things that can help his feet and legs regenerate is coating them with Bagbalm.....amazing stuff....

JJ

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Beautiful bird
    Maybe with a nasty case of scaly leg mites and an infection, possibly bumblefoot.

Good luck with him,

Imp

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Oh My Gosh. The poor baby. I don't know what it is but I hope he gets better soon.

6. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I know. I have to decide fast what I'm doing with him. I just got some 40 birds dropped on me yesterday, and theres a ton of roosters. So, I figured I will butcher most of the boys, and if any looked injured or sick, they would be the first to go. It would figure that this is one of the prettiest and he's even pretty docile.
    If I start treating him, I'll get attached.

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:I'll probably get slammed for this, but the old timers would dip the chicken’s feet/legs in used Motor Oil to cure scaly feet. (It does work) And paint the wooden roosts with it to prevent lice/mites.

P.S. Not that I would ever confess to frugal techniques like that!

8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Any sort of oil works so you may as well use something that is safe for their systems in case they ingest some of it. Mineral oil, baby oil, vegetable oil or even vaseline. The object is to smother the mites and also to soften the crusty stuff so it will come off. For the ones you decide to keep you can dip their legs about once a week for a few times. For really bad ones I also used ivomec pour on. Eventually the toes will die off and the leg will follow without treatment.
    sharon

9. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    This works for scaly leg mites Dip legs in mixture of 1 part kerosen and 2 parts raw linsed oil or you can put it on with a paint brush.Repeat at 7 day intervil for 3 weeks.Vasiline also works but you have to apply it often to smother the mites.I had a rooster given to me in bad shape like that and the mixture worked great.

10. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    If your feed store has the Bagbalm (from Vermont, comes in green square can) I mentioned above, it is so easy to work with, not oily, and one can will last a very long time and cure scaley leg mite issues for many birds for a good long time.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by