My new chickens! :) (pic)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JENoth, Jun 9, 2011.

1. JENoth

JENoth Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    [​IMG]

Hey, (hope the image works!) 2 days a go we got a Fenton Blue (Val) and a Fenton Rose (lil). they are 11 weeks old.

a couple of things...When can we introduce them into the same pen with our other 2 3year old chickens? (they can see eachother at the mo but arnt loose together)

and the place where we got them hadnt given them anything other than the growers pellots. so treat wize should i just try them with lots of different thing?( iv tried rice and they loved it! but then i put tomatoe in there and they didnt pay it any attention!

finally i want them to be as tame as poss, any tips?

i know its a lot thankyou!!

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Wow, thery're really beautiful. Congratulations!
    You can give them most kinds of fresh vegetables or fruit. Black Oil Sunflower Seed(if you can afford it anymore) is a good treat.
    Here is a link to a treat chart that lists things they can and can't have.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=21530
    As far as them being tame and friendly, the best way to accoplish that is treats and handling them.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I have never heard of that breed before! They are just darling!

I would just talk to them alot, and handle them. Hand feeding is good and if you can sit down somewhere and hold out a treat, being very still, they will start to eat from your hand. I really think it's great to talk to them......

Treats my little flock really likes are apples, bananas, tomatoes, strawberries or blackberries (we have them growing on the property). I don't believe in feeding them table scraps. I just don't think it's good for them. Just natural things like fruits, and veggies.

Where did you hear about this breed?

4. JENoth

Jun 6, 2011
    Quote:Ok thanks i will keep trying them with lots of different types of food and spend as much time as possible with them! i hadn't heard of the breed either, we were going out to get a couple of pullets, but couldn't resist having a look at these...and accidently buying them:p

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Ok thanks i will keep trying them with lots of different types of food and spend as much time as possible with them! i hadn't heard of the breed either, we were going out to get a couple of pullets, but couldn't resist having a look at these...and accidently buying them:p

Oh, I forgot to mention cabbage! they just love cabbage, and they will also eat the tops of broccoli........And they like cauliflower....Oh, and raw corn on the cob! They go crazy for that, picking it clean!

OHHH, that "accidental buying" gets me alot! LOL

6. emptynester

emptynester Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    They look very nice! As far as introducing them to your older birds, you want to wait until they are as big as the older ones so they can fight back if need be. Sometimes flocks readily accept new birds, other times they do not. The dynamics of each flock is unique. Whenever you get ready to try to integrate them, just be ready to have time to supervise for a while and make sure they have enough room to get away from each other if need be. [​IMG]

7. JENoth

Jun 6, 2011
    Quote:Cool thanks [​IMG] exam are over soon so i will have a lot of time on my hands! however they are still very little compared to the other 2 so they will stay put for a while! fingers crossed they will be best freinds!

8. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    On the treats thing, I have given mine a ton of stuff which they peck around at or sometimes gobble it up! Every chicken/flock is different.

Mines favorite treat which is all over the place and is free is clover!!! They will do anything for clover!! Lol

Hope this helps a bit, by the way your new babies are soooo cute!! [​IMG]

9. JENoth

Jun 6, 2011
    Lots of ideas thanks [​IMG] a friend of mine suggested yogurt, so i may give that a go today! but i will def keep on trying them with lots of different goodies!

10. mlbp

mlbp New Egg

Jul 19, 2011
    Where did you get your Fenton Blue and Fenton Rose? I have searched everywhere for the Blues, but can't find them in the US. They're popular in th UK, but hard to find here. I'd love to have a few of those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by