My new chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by suki, Apr 11, 2009.

1. suki

suki New Egg

Apr 11, 2009
    Firstly an apology if I get this wrong! This is my first ever attempt at any kind of forum or communication online.
    but as I have just acquired my first chickens and the fantastic information i have acquired by viewing forums over the last few weeks has been very helpful i thought it would be a good idea to join one myself.
    I picked up my first 2 chickens yesterday, pure breeds, a buff Sussex and a barnevelder, they look very healthy and were acquired from an excellent source. I brought them home in a cat carrier, when we arrived their bottoms were quite soiled, will they clean themselves or should i attempt to intervene?
    Their poo is normal and they are feeding well.
    Thank you

2. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    [​IMG]

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    you can wipe their bottom with wet towel.

4. suki

suki New Egg

Apr 11, 2009
    thank you, i am concerned that i might stress them out by trying to handle them so soon, but saying that i dont want to invite any health problems by leaving them. Will they clean themselves?

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    they preen their feathers, but big dirty blob will stay there.... and some chickens are actually lazier than others... so if you want to make sure, just clean it, they'll forget a bit of handling with some offering of treat.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I agree with the other posts. You can take a wet damp cloth wnd wipe off their dirty bottoms. I had one pullet with a really nasty bottom. First I tried to wash her off. I clipped off her bottom feathers. If you looked at them now you can't tell who I clipped.

7. Hello and Welcome to BYC ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by