My new chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bryceeast, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Bryceeast

Bryceeast Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2010
    Chicken Run
    Ok so i am geting 2 hens from my friend that are preatty old they have a couple more years of laying but i have a run i built out of hardware wire but i dont have any where in the run that is a chicken coop should i make a box for them to go in to sleap and to lay eggs i dont have much money so i was gonna make it out of plywood should i build this for them?!?!?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Yes, you should build them some sort of coop. Chickens need a protected spot to sleep that's free of drafts and safe from predators. Depending on where you're located, a plywood box will either be just fine or not quite enough. Also remember that if you're in a cold climate your chickens will spend a decent portion of time inside the coop when it's cold/windy/snowy. So be sure to build it big enough to give them about 4 sq feet of space each (8 sq feet for 2 hens). Inside the coop you'll need to build a small (12x12) nest box and a roost. The roost should be higher than the nest box. A 2x4 laid on it's side is a good roost for hens.

Good luck.

3. Bryceeast

Dec 11, 2010
    Chicken Run
    Thank you and i live in albuquerque and the only pedator i am worried about is a racoon so i burried chicken wire to keep them from digging there way in but if they do will plywood keep my girls safe

4. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  5. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    You give them the best that you can now, when able to upgrade do it.

Good luck with your new pastime. I started out with chickens long ago (the early 70's ) and still enjoy and learn about them daily.

6. Bryceeast

Dec 11, 2010
    Chicken Run
    Thank you i use your advice and they are doing great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by