My new chicks (Buff Orps and GL Wyandottes) - Finally Here!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AllChookUp, Jun 25, 2008.

1. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I finally got my 11 new chicks: 5 Buff Orpington pullets, 5 Gold-Laced Wyandotte pullets and 1 Gold-Laced Wyandotte cockerel.

Here's a couple pics. First, the brooder (4x4x3):
    [​IMG]

Their first few seconds in the brooder:
    [​IMG]

It didn't take them long to figure out the feeder and waterer:
    [​IMG]

And my beautiful wife, excited to be holding a little chickie:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All are doing well. They started eating and drinking right away.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2008
  2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Yay!!! That is so exciting!!!! They are soooo cute!! I have a soft spot for Buff orps [​IMG]. What a nice brooder for them!!!!

Enjoy them!!!!! Thanks for the pics!!!

3. AllChookUp

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Thanks, Bec! As you might guess, I spent a lot of time last night, just standing there watching them. [​IMG]

4. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Very cute! You must be proud of the chicks AND your lovely wife! One cautionary note though, be careful with the mason jar feeder. If they aren't really stable they can fall over on the chicks and kill them. We had that almost happen, luckily it was okay. I ended up replacing it with a small jelly-sized one. They get so much poop and shavings in there that you have to change it really often anyway. [​IMG]

5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

omg yes. It is so hard to walk away. Even when they are just sleeping, kind of like having a newborn. It just gets more entertaining as they grow....lol!!

6. AllChookUp

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    BearSwampChick wrote:
    One cautionary note though, be careful with the mason jar feeder. If they aren't really stable they can fall over on the chicks and kill them.

BearSwampChick - I thought of that. I super-glued a 2 & 1/2-pound weight from a dumbbell to the bottom of the feeder. It will take a lot to tip it over.​

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2008
  7. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Good idea! [​IMG]

8. AllChookUp

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Also, you can't see it under the paper towel flooring, but I have an identical 2 & 1/2-pound weight that the other one sits on top of. I thought that would make for even more stability, and raise the feeder and waterer up a bit higher. That way, when I take the paper towels off for good, there won't be as much wood shavings in the waterer and feeders. (I hope).

I'm just not sure how long I need the paper towel flooring layer. I haven't read how old they are when spraddle-leg isn't a problem anymore. I wouldn't think it would be too old.

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Awwwww.... Yep, the ol' stand by the brooder staring hour. Your chicks are beautiful, including the one with earrings. Glad they made it healthy and safe.

10. AllChookUp

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Yep, the one with the earrings is a keeper. 'Cept, she thinks she rules the roost!

(Actually, I'm just smart enough to know that she does). [​IMG]

Thanks, Buff! Can't wait to get home to check on them. My 3-year-old granddaughter (and best friend) is coming over tonight to see them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by