My new chicks from Ideal (lots of pics)-could use some help ID'ing

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by wannabe_chickadee, Oct 20, 2011.

1. wannabe_chickadee

wannabe_chickadee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2011
    Just got my babies from Ideal today--I ordered 3 black sex-link pullets, 3 barred rock pullets, 3 black australorp pullets, and 4 rare breed surprise pullets. They also included 8 'packing peanuts' for a total of 21 chicks. They wrote on the invoice that the 4 rare breeds are 'sussex, welsummer, maran, and black langshan'. If you can help me figure out which of the rare breeds are which (or actually which ANY of them are) I would appreciate it--so many of them look alike! I have two that are my 'favorites' so far--one little black one and a yellow/brown one. You can probably tell which are my favorites. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    temporary brooder while I was unpacking them all
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    yellow/brown--there are two with similar coloring, this is 'number 1'
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this one is probably the biggest of all of them, and is unique in its coloring
    [​IMG]
    packing peanut, but has a dark stripe the others don't have--is that common for the extra males?
    [​IMG]
    same male (I'm assuming male, anyways)
    [​IMG]
    bigger brooder everyone went into after the were all unpacked
    [​IMG]
    this one is very sweet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    yellow/brown chick number 2--this one looks like it's wearing goggles instead of eyeliner
    [​IMG]
    back of yellow/brown chick 2--she's also one of the loudest and bossiest
    [​IMG]
    back of yellow/brown chick 1--similar but not identical
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this little guy was probably the smallest, frailest of all the chicks, one eye not open and a little crusty poo on bottom (which I cleaned)
    [​IMG]
    he's a sweetie though, so I hope he makes it--really the only chick I am worried about at all
    [​IMG]
    everyone getting comfy
    [​IMG]
    my daughter meeting one of the peeps

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] soooo cute!! Can't help with breeds but I will gush over their cuteness with you. [​IMG]

3. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    They are adorable! Congrats! I'm too new at this to help with breeds but there are tons of knowledgeable folks here that will help you out:)

4. Nicki

Nicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    Georgia
    Aww!! Too cute! I miss baby chicks [​IMG]

5. wannabe_chickadee

Oct 17, 2011
    Just wanted to update this to say that all the babies are doing great--no losses and they're growing like weeds. They are 1 week old today. The runtiest little guy (my daughter named him Sunshine) has one eye that doesn't open but he seems to be completely healthy aside from that.

6. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Gratz on getting thru the first week! I love all the baby fuzzies. [​IMG]

7. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    The lagshan should have feathered legs in this case downy. The maran may or may not have feathered legs. How cute. The Welsumer I believe has a stripe down its back along with the Sussex. How cute. We'll have to see some updated pictures in the future.

8. wannabe_chickadee

Oct 17, 2011
    Quote:One baby out of the lot has feathered legs so I'm guessing that must be the Langshan and the Maran must not have feathered legs. The feather-legged baby is one of the sweetest of the bunch. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by