My New Chicks! SUPER PIC HEAVY!! Help me ID some of them! U2 jab91864

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Guitartists, May 22, 2008.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok, here they are... my new babies! [​IMG] I know which are the Easter Eggers and of course which one is my Self-blue d'Uccle [​IMG] The rest are a mystery to me..... I will post in groups based on who I got them from [​IMG] I've posted pics of their combs as well. Please help me ID their breeds [​IMG] By the way, the red spots on their heads are the ones that I have marked "girls", based on my pendulum sexing trial. [​IMG]

These are from my son's friend. I think some of their chickens were red sex-links. They said RIR [​IMG] One of the roos is cream.(mostly)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are from Gayle (Frizzledhen) Aren't they ADORABLE!!!! I just love the two with the silver faces!!! I hope at least the one IS a pullet! [​IMG]

A pic of three of the "girls"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the strange little brown one that doesn't really have a pattern....

[​IMG]

These are from Julie (jab91864) I know the little blue one is my d'Uccle.... but the rest are a mystery. I do have my guesses though [​IMG] And, for those of you following my hatching thread.. I must have mixed those two up, because even though the brown one looks like none of the others.... the gold one is CLEARLY like the other 3 buffs [​IMG]

Here's what the possibilities were...

Hens: Buff orps, Austrolorps, Chanteclers, Blue and Black Cochins, BLR Wyandottes, GL Wyandotte, LT Brahma, EE's

Roos: Black Cochin, Blue Lace Red Wyandotte, Blue Orp

My Self-blue d'Uccle - Korben

[​IMG]

A buff/red chick with no pattern.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one..... Austrolorp mix????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And these are the buffs... my guess is Wyandotte mixes???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some group pics [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickenWendy

ChickenWendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    what are the red dots on their heads? doesnt that indicate roosters from a hatchery?

3. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    LOL Those are the red dots I put on the ones that I think are girls based on my egg sexing with a pendulum trial [​IMG]

4. chick2good4u

chick2good4u Chillin' With My Peeps

You have some mighty cute babies! The little brown one without a pattern kinda looks like my extra free one I got which was a partridge rock, but it's just a guess as I am a new at this. Here' a picture of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  5. LeeLeesFarm

LeeLeesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    So. California

I noticed that some chicks have very jagged combs starting, and some have flat / smooth combs.

Are the jagged ones, boys???

I just got my little frizzle chicks and see the same jag on some, and have been wondering if these will be the boys???

Thanks,
    Lee

6. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Nope, the ones with toothed combs are a different breed than the others [​IMG] But, if you have all one breed and all the same age and some have bigger combs, this MAY be an indication of sex, but you have to wait and see [​IMG]

7. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Awesome pics!!! The d'uccle really stands out, don't ya just love that color!!! The buff/red chick reminds me of my chanteclers when they were chicks.....

No matter the breed, they look to be an awesome lot of chicks!!!

Julie [​IMG]

8. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Great looking chicks... I love the group shot!!! [​IMG] Mine never stay in one place long enough to get a pic.... maybe I need a dog to keep them in line... [​IMG]

9. kressg23

kressg23 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    Idaho
    I can't help with breeds or sexes, but you've got to be a professional photographer. What cool pics!! And what kind are the ones that look like they have black eyeliner on? My goodness they are cute!!!

10. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    What cute chicks!! Your photography IS great--how do you get those terrifc close-ups of their little faces?--you can see all the details!

Sorry, but I am still quite new (1 year only) to chickendom so I still have fun guessing what my chicks are. I try to use the Murray Mcmurray catalog I have, but still I have a hard time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by