my new chicks - what breeds are they?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by eichenluft, Apr 10, 2007.

1. eichenluft

eichenluft Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2007
    I got an order from McMurray but I forgot what I ordered! And many of the chicks were dead or have died since I got them yesterday [​IMG]. Some others aren't doing so well. Anyway, I took pictures of the remaining chicks and hope someone can tell me what breeds they are. I know I ordered some Silver Wyandottes, RIR, maybe some Araucanas - and something black. Oh, and some barred rocks. Can't remember what else, and they supposedly put in a rare breed chick. Some have died though, so not sure what I have left. Help?

Here's the only grey one left - there were 4 of them. It has some light yellow on the head and chest, and black bars on the back.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  2. eichenluft

Mar 4, 2007
    ok here are two chicks that I really would like to know what they are - they have little white tufts of "hair" on each side of their heads - greyish body with wide black stripe down the back with very thin white lines on each side of the black. Some yellowish mottling on the faces and most distinguishing - both have brown on the front of their faces, near the top of the beak..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  3. eichenluft

Mar 4, 2007
    Here's another - he's not doing so well and he's the last one I have of this color - he might not make it.

[​IMG]

4. eichenluft

Mar 4, 2007
    then there are three "chipmunk" ones - but two of them (first two pictures) have reddish brown stripes down their back with black outline - the other one (last two pictures) has an almost-black stripe down the back. Same breed? Or two different breeds?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. eichenluft

Mar 4, 2007
    Here's one little black one - he might be a banty? Not sure.

[​IMG]

6. eichenluft

Mar 4, 2007
    These are the biggest chicks of the lot - all three are different - but are they the same breed? Or three different breeds? This one has white on the head, and some yellowish coloring here and there -

[​IMG]

Then this one is basically the same but no white on the head - and dark legs.

[​IMG]

and this one has no yellowish coloring at all - and is more grey in color, less black.

[​IMG]

7. eichenluft

Mar 4, 2007
    last but not least - the tiny ones - I'm sure they must be bantys - this one is deep chocolate brown - there are 4 of them but two are not doing well. They have reddish brown bellies and facial/throat markings and their backs are rich chocolate color -

[​IMG]

and this one little guy is the same size as the reddish ones - but he is dark grey/black with whitish underparts.

[​IMG]

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

First off....I cant understand WHY you are loseing them so fast! You have them under a heat lamp at least 95 degrees? Are they drinking water?? You might want to call MM...and let them know they are dieing off....im so sorry to hear that. Did you check thier little bums for pasty butt? Are they eating? and if so...what are you feeding them? Im sorry I cant help you with the ID of these babies...I sure hope you dont lose anymore, they are all sooo cute!!!

9. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I got an order from McMurray but I forgot what I ordered!

McMurray Hatchery would have sent you a shipping document that listed each bird you ordered and the quantity of each.

And many of the chicks were dead or have died since I got them yesterday . Some others aren't doing so well.

Like justusnak, I am concerned to hear that you are losing a number of chicks. Did you follow the instructions about receiving new chicks? If you don't have a hatchery catalogue, the instructions are also printed on the back of your shipping document.

Chicks need to have their beaks dipped in water as soon as they arrive and placed in draft-free environment at 90°- 95° immediately after.

They need clean fresh water and starter feed every day. If the chicks had a hard trip, you can add sugar or vitamins to the water. If you add sugar, don't overdo it, too much sugar can cause diarrhea.

The temperature must remain at 90°- 95° for their first week. Week 2 temp should be 85° - 90°; Week 3 temp should be 80° - 85°, each week lowering the temp by 5° until it is at 70°.

You need to check to make sure they don't have pasty butt. If they do, a warm damp cloth can remove it.

Unfortunately, transit can be hard on chicks and they do sometimes die. If you followed all the instructions and you are chicks are still dying, contact McMurray immediately at 1-800-456-3280.

Let's get them healthy and then take a look at them another day.

regards,
    keljonma​

10. eichenluft

Mar 4, 2007
    Oh yes I got them from the post office asap, they came in the morning but I couldn't pick them up until noon or so that day - maybe that was too long but I actually didn't expect them to come on the monday after Easter - figured April 9th (the date quoted) was the date SENT - so the call was a surprise that they were at the PO that morning. But as soon as I got them home I put them in their container (large plastic box with papertowels and shavings down) and they all drank and drank and drank water. None ate - I had chick starter right there in a long chick feeder. I dipped all beaks several times to make sure they all drank. All drank a LOT. I have heat lamps clipped to the side and pointed down at one end of the box - they all huddled under the lamp and have been there ever since - it's warm -
    Three chicks were dead in the box when I opened it - two were flat - had been dead and walked on for a while. Soon after I got them settled one more had collapsed, and despite my giving him some vitamin/electrolyte supplement he died soon after. Before leaving them for the night I gave them all the water/vitamin/electrolyte mixture from an eyedropper - this morning 3 more were dead and several others were not looking good. Through the day today I eye-droppered the water/electrolytes every hour or two, but still lost several more. I put the weak ones in a separate small box with separate heat lamp on them - but they didn't make it either. All in all I've lost about 10 out of the 26 chicks [​IMG]. I did e-mail McMurray and told them about the dead chicks - no response yet. I can call too - though I don't think I want 26 more chicks. Unless the rest of these die - but I hope they don't. It's 2 am here and I've been up several times getting them to drink and putting food near them - some are eating but most have not been eating yet.

Hoping some will make it and still would love to know for sure which chicks are what breeds, if anyone knows by looking at them. These are my very first purebred chicks, I am still excited about them, though of course hoping they will survive.

Oh, and none have pasty butt, including the chicks that have died.

molly

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by