My new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Crickett, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    I just got some new chicks yesterday [​IMG]. this is my very first time raising any, but they seem to have survived their first night ok. I got up to check on them at least 6-7 times during the night. (Making sure they weren't too cold, too warm, etc.) I swear it looks as if they are nearly doubled in size already [​IMG]! Is that possible? And they look like they are starting to get real feathers too! I don't know what kind they are yet, I guess I will have to wait until they grow up to know for sure.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Seemed like mine grew overnight too. I was surprised at how quickly their feathers start to grow in. Even my baby bantams that are only a couple days old are getting wing feathers already.
    Congrats on your new babies.
    And [​IMG]

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congrat's on your new babies!!!

If you think checking on them 6 - 7 times a night is bad...just wait until this place convinces you to try incubating for your first time. You won't sleep for 21 days! [​IMG]

Enjoy the forum and Welcome to our madness! [​IMG]

Don't hesitate if you have any questions...make yourself at home here and just jump on in with both feet! [​IMG]

Dawn

4. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to the madness that is chicken raising!!

Quote:just 21?? wait'll you get talked into staggered hatches!!

5. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Thanks so much for making me feel welcome![​IMG] Is nice to know that maybe I'm not so weird for obsessing over my new babies![​IMG]

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Nope, you're not weird...you've fallen into the right crowd! [​IMG]

Dawn

7. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

WELL...do I feel normal now! [​IMG]

I have a path worn from the back door to the new coop....and have worn out one flashlight already!!
    I started out checking my 25 babies every hour , day and night...but am beginning to relax a bit now . The fuzzy butts 10 days old are letting me know how they like things and I am beginning to be trained in the way they want me to care for them! [​IMG]
    They eat out of my hand now and no longer panic when I clean the brooder..they just are soooo tamed now !!!
    And no one told me either, how fast they would grow!! I was shocked to find them learning to fly already!!! [​IMG]
    Anyway....I am glad to know I am not being obcessive or anything and that this behavior is perfectly normal for us in the chickenhood....Happy EASTER everyone !! [​IMG]

8. tcwk

tcwk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW, PA
    Yeah i got 12 yesterday and the one RIR rooster can fly up to the top of the 2 foot tall brooder and hit the chicken wire already. They are so fun to watch.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Yes they do grow up fast. with in 5/6 months you'll be collecting eggs. Please post a picture of your babies. Would love to see them. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by