My new chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by happyhens, Apr 19, 2008.

1. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Well, here they are. There are 2 Anconas, 2 EE, 2 asst. Silkies (a buff and a blue, or maybe blue and white), 6 Barred Rock pullets (it was supposed to be 6 asst. Plymouth Rocks... oh well), 4 OEGB (no clue on colors yet, there are so many different varieties!), 4 asst. bantam Cochins (1 red, 1 black/birchen/mottled? 1 unknown, and one that looks either white or splash) and 4 Golden Laced Wyandottes.
    Sorry the pics are a little blurry. Here are a couple of group pictures-
    [​IMG]
    In the brooder (on pine straw bedding)
    [​IMG]
    The OEGBs, they are SO tiny! One of them has spraddle legs [​IMG] I have tried to fix them and it helped, but it still isn't walking right.
    [​IMG]
    The Cochins (any idea what color the silver-ish chick is? I think I have the colors figured out except for it- silver laced maybe?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    How do you keep them clean? Sheesh they are so messy! I think that they think they are ducks, they must be trying to swim in their waterer. I had to clean their brooder out twice today, and put down dry bedding. :help:

2. fowl32

fowl32 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    thats one of the problems with this hobby.
    chickens are dirty and messy. just have to live with it, and clean often![​IMG]

3. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Don't kill yourself with cleaning so much! Everytime I have a new hatch in the brooder I change the paper once a day, refill the water as needed, or rinse out the water dish and refill it if empty. I have not had any sick chicks, or odor from the chicks. And because of our other animals, the brooder is in my Master Bedroom, and I sleep very close to the door. So if there was an odor, I would be the first to complain. Tehe~ Even the older babies outside in the cages, I change their paper once a day. They are about 3 weeks old.

4. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by