My New Chukar Partridge chicks!*PICS* and a few questions!

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Chiko, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    I just recieved 4 three week old Chukar Partridge chicks. and I have a few questions hopefully somebody can answer......

When can they go outside?

When do they feather out completely?

How do you determine their Gender when full grown?

Here are a few pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DomC

DomC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2010
    Las Vegas
    I usually put my chicks outside at about 4 to 5 weeks old, but of course it's usually over 100f during the day and 80's low. I have noticed they are pretty well feathered at about 6 weeks old. The best way to tell sex is by the shape of there heads. I noticed males have a wide or bigger head, while female have a skinny or narrow head. I have also noticed when they pant the females let there wings hang out, while males keep them close to there body. I hope you keep a lid on the brooder, they can fly short distances pretty early.

Good luck

Dom

1 person likes this.
  3. OzawkieBantams

OzawkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    Quote:x2

But sexing them can be at some points pretty tough to the untrained eye.

If by fully feather . do you mean full plumed if so I believe its at 16 weeks or so.

Daren

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    kina looks like 2 M and 2 f to me but they change as they grow I put bracelts ( zip ties) on the ones I suspect are males when they are young the males heads are blockier/fatter the females will kina be "dainty" when older I use the "spurs" to help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by