My new "coop de grace"!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sweetdreaming, Oct 30, 2013.

1. sweetdreaming

sweetdreaming Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    La Feria, TX
    [​IMG]
    Hi! Here's a coop I just finished. I got plans off the Internet for $15. It's 5x6, w/ treated 4x4's for base, 2x3 framing and 5/8" T-1-11 siding. It called for 6 nests but I only made 3 (and my girls still only use 1!). I hv 6 hens and a roo, but the roost inside could accommodate 12+. I raised the base to 18" and framed it w/ hardware wire (that I can remove if I want to use tractor w/ front end spike loader to move it), so they have shade during the day. I also added a ridge vent and put in a solar powered gable exhaust fan that pulls cool air from chic door out above people door on other side (it works great!!---I live in very south TX and hv to deal w/ 80-100 degree days most of the year). I bought a 10x 10 dog kennel w/ sun shade from Tractor Supply and added a single 10' panel and a 6' return so run is 10 x 20'. I kept them in the pen until they all started using the roost (about 2 weeks), then started letting them free-range during the day. It's been about 3 mo's since they moved to their new home and all the girls return to lay their eggs there (in their old pen, they layed 1/2 their eggs in random places around yard). This coop is sooo easy to collect eggs from (and to clean: I just roll wheelbarrow up to people door and rake out the single bag of shavings I put in). The roost just swings up out of the way. Anyway, I built it all by myself, the only thing my husband helped me with was the roof panels (ya, I'm a woman AND I'm over 60!). I had so much fun, I decided to build another identical (just diff color). 2nd one is going a lot faster, should be done in a couple weeks (I work on it when I get home from my "real" job!): my 20 week old Cream Legbars can hardly wait!

2 people like this.
  2. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Very nice,you did a great job on it.[​IMG]

3. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I love it and you were wise to cut down on the nest boxes. You only need 1 for every 4 birds.

4. sn0wwhite

sn0wwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    MN
    I love the windows! Did you buy or make those?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Nice Job!!

6. Skyblue23

Skyblue23 New Egg

Oct 30, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia
    That's a awesome coop! You did a great job :)

7. sweetdreaming

Mar 24, 2013
    La Feria, TX
    Thanks! I bought them online. I can't remember the site, something like "Discount Shed Windows". They're 14 x 21, flush mount and white. They hv 3 adjustments to open and a screen. Glass is tempered. There's 2 on the back, too, for cross vent. $98 for 4 and they arrived in 4 days and perfect. I just got another set for the new coop I'm building, too.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    WOW...did that $98 include shipping?

9. sweetdreaming

Mar 24, 2013
    La Feria, TX
    Naw, but it was about $20. Shoot, I drive a 1T Dually and it takes about $10 in fuel just to drive to my local Home Depot, so I didn't complain.

10. BryceR

BryceR Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    El Mirage AZ
    Thats great! Awesome job on the coop!

Can you tell me a little about the solar fan you have? That might be a great addition to my coop I'm working on now. That would come in handy for the summers here in AZ.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by