My New Coop Design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dansdeals3489, May 4, 2008.

1. dansdeals3489

dansdeals3489 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    Mogadore, Ohio
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dansdeals3489

Mar 17, 2008
    Mogadore, Ohio
    This is my new coop design that my Father-in-law (crooked stripe) constructed. We built it in the garage to save money. It is built for 2x4 walls and plywood and is fully insulated. He built a door for egg collecting on the back side of the nest boxes. The existing garage window was made to swing in for ventilation. There is the door for them to go outside and a run will be built in the very near future. Special thanks to my Father-in-law John for all his special help.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I love it! I always thought it would be so cool to have mine in the garage with an outside run attached. Can't do it here though - not a big enough garage.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    What a GREAT idea!!! I would think it would be VERY predator proof too! [​IMG]

5. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    very smart!!! nice too!!! [​IMG]

6. dansdeals3489

Mar 17, 2008
    Mogadore, Ohio
    It is very predator proof, I just moved my White Leghorn rooster out there and he loves it! I put a fresh bed of pine chips in and will get some straw in later. All I have to do is construct the run which I think I am going to build it to be 8x16. The coop is 5x8. I have 8 hens on order and will receive them in 2 weeks. They will be in a seperate brooder box until they are big enough to mingle with the rooster. I am going to paint the outside window & door and probably paint the coop to make it look nice, otherwise with the run it will be done. Mt wife and I are really excited!

7. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    That is kind of how I'm planning on building my coop!

I couldn't decide if I wanted to build it INTO the garage or have a portable coop in the garage. But I love your coop!

Does the one window square with the wood in it pop out to allow ventilation?

8. dansdeals3489

Mar 17, 2008
    Mogadore, Ohio
    Quote:The whole window is on hinges to open for ventilation, my father-in-law accidentally dropped it, although he will probably blame me....hehe We put the wood in instead of replacing the glass.

9. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I would love my coop in garage!!!

I could get eggs & sit with chickens with out going in snow!!!

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I want one of those in my garage but hubby says no [​IMG] I love how frugal that is! Very good job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by