My New Coop! (HOPEFULLY)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Morgan7782, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I currently have 5 pullets, three in one coop, two in the other. Of course my chicken addiction quickly outgrew my chicken housing abilities lol. I was going to build a coop, but the weather is really tempermental here right now and I don't have a garage to store wood or anything. I needed it to be fairly big, shed style and walk in, and enough room for storage as well. So I have been SCOURING craigslist and found this!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/2026772765.html

I will be ordering one today hopefully! My price limit for building was 500-550 dollars and this meets the bill! I am so excited [​IMG] [​IMG] A few questions for big coop owners..

How much of a cleared area will I need for an 8x8 structure? Does the cleared ground need to be 9x9? Or 10x10? Any help is appreciated. And by cleared ground I mean for the structure only, there will be room to get around it and stuff [​IMG]

SO EXCITED! 3-4 weeks he said it will be done after he starts/I order [​IMG]

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Nice!
    BTW, I love your chickens, esp. Joon and Munk!

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thanks! I am so excited!! I know and Munk and Joon are NOT happy right now with their coop, it's too small so hopefully they will LOVE having 8-10 feet EACH [​IMG] I will only have 5-6 chickens max while I live in an urban area, but the room will allow us to close them up for baaad days and they will actually enjoy going in at night. Munk and Joon do not like their current crate coop lol. Luckily they are free range from 8am-dark

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, excellent!

For ground space, I'd make sure there is at least 2 feet around the coop area to move - you've seen my place; there are tight spaces into which I can't go, and you KNOW that's where a chicken might choose to go on occasion. I hate having to reach or use something to flush 'em out. I don't like scaring them.

Normally, when someone says 8x10 or 4x6 or anything like that, that's the footprint, the space it actually occupies. I'd check with that builder to see if the porch counts as part of the 8x8. If not, then you need to clear space for the porch part too. (Duh. Sorry if I sound pedantic.)

They (and YOU) will love all that room!! And WALK IN space, too!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  5. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Great thanks for the tips! I have been stressing hardcore about this because we went through my first chunk of money so quickly with bills and all that fun stuff LOL But today my coop money will arrive and it will get in order!

I asked him if there was a delivery fee and what that was, and he hasn't called back yet (just called a few hours ago) but I think it is 8x8 including a 24 inch porch. So the structure/coop part would be 6x8 I think..? Never was good at math lol!

I will make sure to have enough room so I can get any sneaky chickens lol. I am also having him adjust the height from 8' tall to 7' because I am 5'7 and don't need it to be 8' I don't think [​IMG] as long as the doorway is 6' tall I am good. I am so excited!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Hopefully it will work out [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by