My New Coop is almost done!!!

redbugs13

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
Southwest Washington
So I started with a dog house I got off craigslist.... Started taking the shingles off so we could frame in windows and nest boxes. Found out almost the whole thing was rotten. So we tore it all apart, I wanted to use the shingles for the siding, and really like the front porch cover. DH was on a temporary lay off and and worked on it when the weather permitted, I would come home and be so impressed at how it was coming along. We had a really nice weekend and got it mostly finished up. We have to ad a few more trim pieces, and the ramp, and the to rod for the perch. Also, I am going to run 1" chicken wire around the bottom part of the dog kennel/run. I think DH is tired of working on it, but I am very loving trying to convince him to put a cover over the run. We looked around for "opps paint" but couldn't find a good red, at one store dh found a can of actual red barn paint, "for barns and fences" safe for livestock. It was perfect. All the wood used and materials were stuff we found around the house, or salvaged wood from dh's job site. Total, we are only into the hen house about $50 bucks!

Here is an over all side view, the window is on hinges and can be opened for extra air flow.
24916_dscf5258.jpg

The other side has the nest boxes, which my cat won't have access to once my hens move in! There is a lid, it was removed for painting.
24916_dscf5255.jpg

The roof has a vent in it, but we also put it on hinges so that it could be propped open for extra ventilation if needed. Again, my cat thinks he rules the world and has to thoroughly check everything out.
24916_dscf5256.jpg

The whole back opens up and can be propped up to clean out the inside. I still have to put dividers between the nest boxes and put a rod in for the perch.
24916_dscf5260.jpg

All walls are insulated and there is a light fixture mounted in the ceiling for extra daylight/warmth when needed. I live in Southwest Washington, so we are never to cold or to hot really.

That's GREAT!!! Don't you just love Craigslist.

I'm in Olympia, WA and it was a gorgous weekend for working on the coop. Darn, I didn't finish getting up my hardware cloth last night. The skeeter's were getting me.

I came to work early this morning so I could get home and get her finished and get the girls out for their first night in the coop. YAHOO!!! I'm so excited for them to have lots of space so I can play with them. (YES - I'm a big kid).

I too will use a dog kennel run that I'm going to attach hardware cloth to the bottem that I will then flange out on the ground a foot rather than bury it.

What are you going to cover your run with?

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

That's GREAT!!! Don't you just love Craigslist.

I'm in Olympia, WA and it was a gorgous weekend for working on the coop. Darn, I didn't finish getting up my hardware cloth last night. The skeeter's were getting me.

I came to work early this morning so I could get home and get her finished and get the girls out for their first night in the coop. YAHOO!!! I'm so excited for them to have lots of space so I can play with them. (YES - I'm a big kid).

I too will use a dog kennel run that I'm going to attach hardware cloth to the bottem that I will then flange out on the ground a foot rather than bury it.

What are you going to cover your run with?

I live in Rochester, just south of you!
If all goes to my plan... I will get dh to cover with metal roofing
tongue.png
.... but if he gets his way, I will end up with bird netting stretched across the top.

This weather has been so beautiful! We bought our house in November, it was a repo and needs a lot of work outside... but first things first.... I need some where to put the hens when they are ready to move out of the kitchen!!!!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Ha Ha, my dh, at the time boyfriend, brought him home from the shelter about a year and a half ago... he is the best cat! but he will climb into anything. If were out in the yard and have the truck he will stand on top of the cab or on the truck box and ride around. If we go for a walk... he follow about 20 ft back the whole time. Thanks for all the comments!

Back
Top Bottom