My new coop is almost done!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Reurra, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    So Ive been working about 10 hours a day getting this coop built! My husband graciously helped procure the wire and feed and other chicky items. All the materials were already on the property so i have no ida how much square footage I have used. The interior partition is made of 6 inch tongue and groove while the outside is made of rough cut 2x6. Im using 1 inch galvanised poultry wire and galvanized 16 framing nails as well as 8s and U staples. I found some nice hinges in one of the sheds too! I measured out 9 foot from the back wall to make the partition. the shed is 12 feet wide. I decided on a larger coop because our winters here drop quite into the negatives quite a bit, sometimes as low as 30c. I wanted my birds to have lots of space and plenty of ventilation on those cold days. There is a huge window that opens up to let air flow in, vents in the gables and a huge solid south facing window (pictured) to give them lots of light. My kids helped me build it and today will be finishing making bird boxes and roosts! [​IMG]

I found some really heavy duty guage mesh in one of the sheds. I used it to cover the bottom to keep out predators. I also sunk 6 inches of chicken wire below the base of the shed and it rests on the grating. I dont think anything will be able to get through to my birds. We have hawks, bald eagles, osprey, coyotes and raccoons and a stray cat. Im taking no chances! Of something gets through the base, it deserves a chicken and I deserve the loss! I worked hard on security to keep animals out.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Looks great!

3. Reurra

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Thanks! I just finished it too! Just now! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Im POOPED!! lol

4. Reurra

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Here are the final pictures! My ladies will have a beautiful view of the bay [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. nick7764

nick7764 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Starkville, NY
    Congrats! Its look good!

6. HippieChick76

HippieChick76 Blossom Backyard Farm

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    Looks like a nice coop.

I have to say that stories like this make me think building a coop might be possible. I will also have a couple of kids helping out :)

7. sbucciarel

sbucciarel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Pretty fantastic looking.

8. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Beautiful coop, but someone should have told you that chicken wire is only good for keeping chickens in. It will not stop coons or most any other predator from getting to your chickens. They will rip through it like its not even there. You didn't mention weasels, but if you have them, I have been told they can go through a 1" hole. Also, if the holes in your wire are large enough for a coon to fit its "hand" through, they will reach in and tear apart the chickens. I don't know why the chickens don't seem to be smart enough to stay in the center where they couldn't be accessed, but they don't seem to be.

9. Reurra

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Ok, I went and bought 1/2"x1/2" wire. Its 4 feet high too. I stapled the heck out of it and also wired it to the chicken wire about every 6 inches. I hope this works. the idea is to put the chickens away at the end of the day and let them out in the mornings. I hope it works! that wire was $90 for 50 ft!

(canada is expensive [​IMG])

10. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    It IS pricey! We bought ours online. At least yours comes with health insurance! ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by