1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My new coop is half-finished! PICS!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by skatcatla, Jan 22, 2008.

1. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    I can't believe how fast my carpenter is. He did all this in about 5 hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All that's left for him to do to do is finish cutting the chicken door, build and attach the barn-style doors on the other side, build the nest boxes, attach the roof and shingle it. The coop is 4' x 5' x 5' tall.

Then I get the fun part: painting and final decorations! I'll post more photos when its totally completed.

I am really, really happy I hired a good carpenter. As I watched him building all this, I said to my husband, "see honey, it would have taken us weeks to do what he just did in two hours; not to mention multiple trips to Home Depot, hundreds of dollars in ruined materials, all the screaming and recrimination, the attorney's fees for the divorce proceedings...." [​IMG]

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Nice should be a realy good chook house what breeds do you have?

Nice Coop
    Henry

3. skatcatla

Jun 26, 2007
    I have just four, Henry. A Barred rock, a Rhode Island Red, a Black Star and a Jersey Giant. I'm thinking with that space I might even be able to get one more!

4. okto

okto Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2007
    los angeles
    congratulations on the coop

that'll make life a shade easier, huh?

go for five chickens, i want to see how it turns out adding another
    because i'm thinking of doing the same.

5. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Yea! [​IMG] That looks great! I can't wait to see the finished product. I remember you looking for a coop. I'm so glad you found what you wanted.

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    No No, don't post pictured when it's done, keep the construction pictures coming. I need new ideas, and I like to see what and how other people do them. Looks great by the way. Wish I could build one in 5 hours. But then I do all the painting and detail stuff too. Plus I build an exterior nesting box, which takes a little time. But still.... [​IMG]

7. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sara,
    The coop looks great! It will easily withstand a good earthquake. [​IMG] I'm with D, I'd love to see more construction photos. Are you having a new run built, also?
    Oh, isn't this *fun*?[​IMG]

8. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Great pics! I wish EVERYONE would take more pictures of the FRAMING of their coops. This is what I struggle with the most.

9. skatcatla

Jun 26, 2007
    Thanks all! I'll try to take some more photos, but I think he's going to finish it this afternoon and I won't be home.

One thing that I thought was neat is that he used actual siding from Home Depot. The siding comes in various widths and just snaps together so there's no seam when its complete. You can see it from the interior shot. I love that its completely waterproof, I don't even need to paint it if I don't want.

10. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Leave a camera with him and tell him he must snap shots of each step as part of the deal. [​IMG]

I know, it's a bit much to ask........but worth a try. [​IMG]

Looks great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by