My new coop plan

jettgirl24

Songster
9 Years
Feb 21, 2010
Duvall, WA
Okay, so I think I've come up with my fancy new coop plan! I made a little drawing of it below, let me know what you think and give me any suggestions you may have!

CoopPlan.jpg

Measurements:

Length: 14'
Width: 8'
Height (at ends): 6'
Height (at peak): 8'

Other details:
This is going to be a mini replica of my horse barn. I'm putting windows on each end (instead of hay doors
smile.png
) for ventilation. I will also be making more ventilation underneath the eaves that will run the length of the coop. The big door you see on the end isn't actually a real door - it's just going to be painted to look like the big end aisle doors on my horse barn. There will be two pop doors on either side of the feeder that will lead out to the run.

Across from the feeder on the other long wall will be the human door and on each side of that will be the waterers. I am going to install a gutter system that will flow into rain barrels. The rain barrels will have spouts that run through the coop wall into the water containers... Not quite automatic but super easy! Any overflow from the rain barrels will be routed off to the garden which is located a few feet behind the coop.

The roosts will be mounted with a poop board underneath and the nest boxes set back under those with some overhang on the poop board (to prevent layers from getting pooped on while they're giving me eggs). I'm planning on a two story next box complex so I should be able to get 8 nest boxes on each side. I'll build in exterior access to the nest boxes for egg collection as well but that's not reflected in the drawing. The access doors will be flush with the coop wall. Right now I have A LOT of roostand nest space planned. I may end up only doing roosts/nests on one side and building shallow storage cabinets on the other side for extra food and tools. We'll make that decision during the build process I would guess.

The run will be about 16' x 20' and built out of hardware cloth and livestock fencing with netting over top to keep out those pesky hawks!

Quote:
ditto

The OP says there will be poop boards under the roosts and over the nest boxes.

As long as you have poop boards you should be fine. Make sure they are deep enough (out from the wall) to cover the entire nesting box to include the perch. You don't want poo on your perches of the nesting box.

My plan is to make the poop boards 2 1/2 feet deep and the next boxes 18" deep so there should be a foot of overhang. Think that's enough?

I LOVE this plan. I wish I lived on a big enough piece of property to do something like this. How many chickens are you planning to house here?

How many roosting poles do you plan on having above the 2 1/2 foot poop board? Remember you have to have enough space between the poles that they don't poop in each other when they are roosting.

This is from My Pet Chicken.

•Provide "roosting poles" for your girls to sleep on (2" wide; rounded edges; allot 5-10" of space per bird side to side and 10" between poles if more than one is necessary; plus ladder-like grading so the pole furthest away is several inches higher than the closest).

http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-care/chapter-5-chicken-coop-requirements.aspx

Last edited:
How many chickens are you planning to house here?

Right now I just have 8 (plus 5 viable eggs in the incubator
smile.png
) but I'll be expanding when we move and have all the new space. I estimate I can have about 22 but I may not always have the max. I'll likely fluctuate between 15 and 20. One of the things I like about this plan with roosts and waterers on both sides and a BIG feeder is that I *could* divide it in half if I want to do that for some reason - say to have a mixed laying flock and a purebred breeding flock. I also have a seperate coop that I got last weekend that is 3' x 8' that I'll be using as a broody coop/chicken hospital.

How many roosting poles do you plan on having above the 2 1/2 foot poop board?

Just one centered above it made froma 2' x 4'. That should give 8' of roost space on each side so I hope that should be enough for 20 chickens. I may make the poop board wider on one side and have two roosts on one side instead... That part is still a little bit up in the air
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom