My new coop under construction!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wolfie104, Mar 27, 2011.

1. wolfie104

wolfie104 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    just wanted to say hi to everyone and that i am new to chickens. i have 8 chicks right now, about 3 weeks old. i have been reading this sight alot lately and have gotten alot of really good ideas for my coop.

it is still under construction, but is coming along nicely. im sure that i will learn some things along the way, but this site is full of information!!!

my coop size is 8x8, and the total run is 8x16. the coop is about 2 feet off of the ground, to allow room under it for shade. i have 1/2 hardware cloth on inside of coop (to prevent chickens from hitting windows, and a little added protection from whatever) and the run will be 1/2 hardware cloth. the apron will be chainlink fence, 3 foot out from coop. the coop is 6 foot tall inside at the center. i will have doors on both sides of the run.

i put the pop door in the floor, only because this is what i wanted. i almost put it on the wall, but i really wanted it on the floor. no reason really, im just stubborn!!!

there is 6 square foot of winter ventilation up high in the gables, and the door and side windows open for the summer. i have 8 feet of roost for the "kids".

i plan on putting vinly siding on the coop, gutters with downspouts going to rain-barrels, and let my wife decorate and landscape the outside (she's great at that stuff!!).

anyway, i love this site and look forward to learning as much as i can here. please, keep up the great info!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 2DogsCoop

2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    very nice!

3. obaan1

obaan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Great Lakes State
    That is really nice! Keep us posted on your progress with more pictures.

4. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    VERY NICE!!! Are you planning for outside access to your nesting boxes for gathering your eggs?

5. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

GREAT JOB!! Awesome Coop, Can you do mine next? lol [​IMG] }}}Do you have plans drawn /measurements & supplies needed for your coop?~ I Was thinking maybe you could post them(please, please) & I could get my hubby to make me one.. If I can get him away from the race car long enough, ugggg [​IMG] Thanks, ~Julie~

6. wolfie104

Mar 26, 2011
    Quote:actually, yes. there is a hinged door on the outside of the coop so that i can access the nest boxes from the outside.

7. wolfie104

Mar 26, 2011
    Quote:sorry julie, i have no measurements or plans, i just "WING IT!!!! (sorry for the bad joke).

8. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

And where are our manners? Sorry wolfie104... [​IMG] yes this is a very nice place with all kinds of helpful ideas & advice. ~Julie~

9. Heckel's Hens

Heckel's Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Southern VA
    Welcome! That is a FANTASTIC coop. Really cool design ideas. [​IMG]

10. eds500

eds500 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Wow. Very Nice. Your chickens will be happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by