My new coop with recycled / free items

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by coberdor, Aug 13, 2010.

1. coberdor

coberdor Songster

Nov 24, 2008
    Norton, Ohio
    So far I have about $250, mostly in roofing, hardware cloth, screws and the vinyl for the floor.

Here is a front view so far.

[​IMG]

A view with the outside collection nest boxes, opened.

[​IMG]

A closeup view of the nest boxes.

[​IMG]

A side view with an old window from an old farmhouse. This window, the windows on the back and the door with a window, which will be on the other side were free.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the back with the windows opened. They will cover the large ventiliation area which is covered by screen and wire.

[​IMG]

Here is a closeup of the ventiliation above the windows on the back. I will create covers to go over these on the inside for some of our cold, Ohio winters.

[​IMG]

A view of the front ventiliation above the windows. The windows I purchased from a window company, which were salesmen demos, for $15.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the inside roost. The poop board and back wall are covered with the sides of a pool that a friend of mine was throwing away. The vinyl is really heavy and reinforced. I also used the vinyl to cover the tops of the nestboxes to help insulate and protect against the chicken poo.

[​IMG]

Another inside view of the nest boxes and the inside of the windows, which I've covered with hardware cloth.

[​IMG]

Well, what do you think so far?

Here's what they've been staying in. It's my chicken tractor that I made out of an aluminum truck cap that someone gave me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. Ema

Ema Songster

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    wow this is awesome!!!!!!!!!!! great job...we have been doing ours with recycled materials too, but ours doesn't look as nice as yours...lol...you put in a lot of thought and hard work.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. chica57

chica57 Songster

Aug 25, 2009
    Great Ideas !!!! Love the old window-were starting to put thought into a second coop-love all these ideas everyone has!!! Great Job!!! [​IMG]

4. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Wow... Love what you have done with recycled stuff. Keep up the good work.

5. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Good job! That is really attractive!

6. coberdor

coberdor Songster

Nov 24, 2008
    Norton, Ohio
    Thanks all. I'll update with pics as I come closer to finishing.

7. GungaLaGunga

GungaLaGunga Hatching

Aug 16, 2010
    I really like the chicken tractor with the truck cap.

8. CaliBlueChicken

CaliBlueChicken Songster

Jul 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    VERY COOL! Ours is made from recycled materials too... or free stuff [​IMG] We used wood pallets for our frame we got from some local businesses for free. We got our paint for free from the local recycling center. The wood for the floor and roosts was salvaged from a friends yard. I like your use of the pool lining. Good idea! My sister used an old truck cover for the roof of her coop [​IMG] like you did for your tractor. Oh yea and we got some cement blocks for free from our friend too for the foundation under the pallets and flooring. Our soil gets pretty muddy in the winter so we wanted it up off the ground so the wood didnt rot. Looks GREAT! [​IMG]

9. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Very nice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by