1. destorieswind

destorieswind Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
  2. lisebarb

lisebarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice set-up you have there. I like how you have the droppings go into a compost area.

[​IMG]

3. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    It looks like you have a fabric type covering over the roof part. I would take either more chicken wire or 1/4 in hardware cloth and attach that to the rafters to prevent predators from getting through it to get to your chickens. Or if you can find some of those clear/opaque fiberglass panels to cover parts of the run area that would help cut down on the heat from the summer sun and the occassional rain that you get out there in Arizona. I noticed that you didn't have any nest boxes for the hens or did I miss them in the photos?

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Nice coop and run, the white picket fence really dresses up the chicken wire.

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    That is so adorable!!!!!! I love it [​IMG]

6. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Is that dried paint in the lid of the waterer?

7. destorieswind

destorieswind Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    well i dont have nest boxes yet.
    the chickens are only about 15 weeks.
    yes it is dried paint. [​IMG]
    but modifications are sooon to come!

8. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    I love the recycled materials. You are very creative. We built our Rabbit run in a very similar manner. DH calls it the Rabbit Fortress. Make sure that wire is good and secure. You might consider adding a piece of wood to the back side of every few pickets vertically to strengthen the wire.

9. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Hello Fellow Arizonan!!

I think it looks good. Is the grapevine going to get enough sun with a shade cloth over it?

Sand works great for a run floor, I use a kitty litter scoop to get the dropping out of the sand very easily, I put the dropping in a bucket and carry them to the compost pile.

I use straw in the coop, and it is a pain to get droppings out of the straw. Every evening I stir up the straw a bit to hopefully send the droppings to the bottom layer of straw, I add new straw every few days. But, I wind up just taking most of the straw out and adding all new straw every week or so.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  10. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I think it's great! love the fact that the girls have a little run and your composting poo poo which is always wonderful.

one thing...the rose will not do well in part shade and the thorns may be getting your girls in there so I would move it out into a garden. if it does grow, it will make less room for them to scratch anyways....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by