1. coolchange

coolchange Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    I just built a new coop that is 8x8. I have 13 pullets. 5 of them are about 8-9 months and the other 8 are a little over 4 months old. Since they have "moved in" to the new coop they seem to pile on top of each other at night on top of the roosting boxes or inside of them. It seems that 10 will be together and maybe 3 of them in different areas of the coop. The problem is they are using the bathroom in the nesting box that they all use making it a mess and of course the eggs are messy too. I have 4 nesting boxes with ladders going up to them and a 4' perch but they never use that. Am I doing something wrong ir is it just the way it is? Any siggestions would be appreicated.

2. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    If they are not laying....you need to block them off.........oh wait...you said eggs....they must be laying... [​IMG] In that case...you need to routinely go out at night and move them out of the nesting boxes and put them on the roost...eventually...they will get the idea!!

3. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Just block off your egg boxes and night at open them back up in the morning.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  4. joebwe25

joebwe25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Make sure the perch is higher than the nest box.
    Chickens like to roost on the highest place possible.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by