My 'new' coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fshinggrl, May 10, 2009.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Ok, this has been a work in progress. I am a bit intimadated by all the nice coops I've seen around. We live on 5 acres in a small (20 houses) sub-division, so we have plenty of land.
    I saw a 'play-shed' on craigslist that we were going to buy for a chicken coop, but then the same seller was selling a chicken coop too!!! BONUS! So, we got both. Here is the playhouse (for the kids)!
    [​IMG] It was a grey/blue color when we got it so it got repainted!
    The chicken house is a little smaller than I wanted it and it is going to be a PITA to clean. It sits pretty high on a sturdy platform. We surrounded it with 5 feet high chicken wire on wood posts. We will be adding deer fence over it to protect from the sky predators. *that* part isn't done yet. The coop has 4 nesting boxes with doors on the outside in which I'll need a stool to reach. It has several windows & openings and two roosting boards inside (changed the dowels into 2x4's.)
    Like I said, I'm a little hesitant to post because it isn't exactly the best, but it will have to due here in Minnesota. My hubby isn't thrilled with the $$ that has gone into it.
    [​IMG]
    Inside with the 4 week old EE's & Silver Wyandottes (hopefully all) pullets. (Actually, I wouldn't mind if ONE of them was a roo.)
    [​IMG]

2. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Very nice [​IMG]...I wish someone was giving things like that away on craigslist in my area.

3. chills

chills Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    looks great, the coop looks like its protected in the middle of the pen .. i like that idea .. they look like they have lots of room to play .. they're lucky chics ..

4. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    When the kids get bored with that playhouse, I'd be turning that into my chicken coop.

The new little coop looks fine for now but might be a little tight come winter and full grown birds. Maybe cover some of your nice big run so your birds can stay outside in winter with protection from the cold.

Keep thanking your hubby for all his hardwork and remind him the chicks will provide nice fresh eggs soon.

Thanks for sharing.

5. PacsMan

PacsMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Salt Lake Valley
    Quote:Hey, I'm really interested in that play shed. What are the dimensions? Looks like 4x6x6 or a 6 foot cube maybe?

I'm looking to build another coop this summer, that my wife said, "Wow, that's too cute!"
    Marty

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:Hey, I'm really interested in that play shed. What are the dimensions? Looks like 4x6x6 or a 6 foot cube maybe?

I'm looking to build another coop this summer, that my wife said, "Wow, that's too cute!"
    Marty

it is 6x8 not including the 1.5 ft porch. The person we bought it from said it was homemade.

7. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Looks like it will keep them warm and dry, which is the most important thing. Your kids have a nice BIG yard to play in--very nice!

8. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    That is a nice coop how mean are you putting in that jw.

9. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    That is a nice coop how mean are you putting in that jw.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by