My New Coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lkcaffery, Apr 14, 2012.

1. lkcaffery

lkcaffery Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    After ascertaining that building a coop was way beyond our capabilities and doing lots of research on chicken coop builders in our area, I found a great General Contractor who builds coops on the side as a hobby (he and his family raise chickens). I sent him three designs that I liked, including the Garden Coop, and he came up with a design based on the best of all of them. He just delivered our coop and I love it so I had to share!

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. SKG1121

SKG1121 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    GA
    if you don't mind my asking, did it cost more or less than buying a premade coop?

3. lkcaffery

Mar 21, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    It cost $850. I realize we could have built a coop for less, but again, not really within our capabilities. He used quality materials, hardware cloth, etc., so while a bit pricey, I felt I got a good deal for the final product. There is a place here in Charlotte, NC that builds coops, including the Garden Coop, and they wanted $2800 to build the Garden Coop.

4. annamcc314

annamcc314 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    Van Buren, AR
    Is it purple? Love it!

5. lkcaffery

Mar 21, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    It is purple! I wanted something different and bright.

6. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    it's beautiful. i bet you are excited. what kind of chickens are going to live there?

7. lkcaffery

Mar 21, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    I have five five-day-old chicks: 2 silkies, 1 buff orpington, 1 salmon favorelle and 1 EE. One of the silkies seems to have a deformed leg (not splayed) so I'm just not sure if she'll make it although she is able to get around OK now and is eating a drinking. This is my first venture into urban chickens.

8. Alte Vogel

Alte Vogel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    S.E. Alabama
    Love it. Congratulations!

9. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Very nice! I love the design and colors.

10. TexGal

TexGal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    I love it!! And beautiful surrounding land!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by