My New Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LanceTN, Oct 20, 2014.

1. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    I wanted to share my new coop. It's the first one I have built, so I just took my knowledge of carpentry and figured it out as I went along. It cost about $600 to build our of entirely new materials and it's 10ft by 12ft.

I saved a ton of money by constantly reminding myself, this building is for chickens not people. So it doesn't need to hold as much weight.

It's held up by 4x4s. The frame for the floor is 2x6s with 2x4 floor trusses 16" on center. With half inch OSB as the flooring.

The walls are framed 24" on center. The front wall is 4ft tall and the back wall is 3ft tall. This let me get two studs out of one 8ft 2x4. The wall configuration also allowed me to slope the roof without building actual roof trusses. Instead I just laid 2x4s across. Then I used metal roofing so I didn't have to use any sheeting underlayment.

I have 20 ft of roost inside, 120 square feet of space plus five nesting boxes hung off the side with a hinged roof for easy egg access. The back wall has two hinged doors for easy bedding changes.

It will eventually get painted!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. Spicy

Spicy Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    Awesome. Wish I could go that big. But I'm going I guess you would say "outlawed." Can't wait to seeit painted.

3. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    That's why I don't live in a city. I don't have to deal with the arbitrary nonsense called laws.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by