My new duckling - he's a muscovy/dinosaur mix (pics)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jz, Dec 7, 2010.

1. jz

jz Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2010
    Meet McIntosh the duckling! He is now 4 days old.
    He is so energetic! He acts like he has redbull in his mason jar waterer.

He is a mini-dinosaur. He cant wait for his peeppeeppeep to develop into a roar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fallen and cant get up
    [​IMG]

Ducky feet!
    [​IMG]

We decided to not vent sex "him". Does anyone with muscovy experience know at what age we will be able to judge sex by the size of its feet?

My boyfriend and I imprinted him so he can be a pet duck, spending part of his time indoors. Is it possible for a duck to imprint on two people? My bf is really busy right now so I am almost spending full time with the lil guy. He still responds to my bf's voice like he does mine, but I hope he doesn't become super-attached to me and ignores my bf (who loves him very much - its his first pet [​IMG]

Anyway, just wanted to share [​IMG] Anyone else have cute duckling pics? Or before/after, duckling/adult pics? I'm trying to predict what colors he will be!

Julie

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It's SOOO adorable!!! And congrats, sorry to hear of your egg loss.

I would just call him a him for a while, that way if he is a he, and you didn't want a he, you have nothing to lose. [​IMG]

3. OkieChickenDad

OkieChickenDad Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2010
    Oklahoma
    AWESOME! my daughter is doing ducks in her incubator this spring...cant wait.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Aww adorable! [​IMG]

5. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Ohhhhhhh he's so beautiful!! There is just nothing like a duckling to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I have one Scovy Hen that my Pekin and I hatched together in May and at first I thought she was a drake but she turned out to be a beautiful girl. She was about 5 months old when we figured out for sure that she was a she, I named her Scooter the day she hatched and let the name stick. Congratulations on your baby!!!

Michelle

6. jz

jz Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2010
    Thank you all [​IMG] We hope that he turns out to be a she, and also hope that she doesn't mind being called a "he" for the rest of her life, because its just easier that way haha

Man this thing is so crazy though, it's like his mission in life is to get as tangled up in my hair as possible until I'm worried that I'm gonna have to cut my hair off to get him out. Is this normal for ducklings? At least he stopped trying to climb to the highest point he could get to and try to kamikaze jump off. He thinks he can fly already! He has calmed down a bit though since we put a mirror in his brooder.

7. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    OMG "he" is gorgeous! I love his knee high socks!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Nothing wrong with a boy Muscovy either as long as there are no girls around they make wonderful pets. He's precious!

9. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    I looooooove him! [​IMG]

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Because you only have one, that little thing is going to follow you around and demand all your attention. And once you give it to the duck, you will never get rid of it. It will follow you everywhere and holler when it can't get to you - like when you are on the toilet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by