My new ducklings & chicks! **Pics **

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by USMCwifey, Apr 11, 2011.

1. USMCwifey

USMCwifey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    WNY
    Here's our newest members! [​IMG] They are about 3 days old now. 2 little chicks and 6 baby ducks!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I plan on raising them to be free range ducks and chickens, but I do have a few questions about doing so, if you wouldn't mind answering. [​IMG]

1.) How do I get the ducks to want to stay in our yard and pond?
    2.) When we make the ducks a coop, will I be able to round them up at night and fence them in? If so, how do I train them for that?
    3.) If I clip their wings will it give me a better chance of having them stay near by?
    4.) If our pond starts to dry out and the edges are steep, can the ducks get out as adults?

2. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    Quote:Congrats on all the cute babies!!

Whether the ducks fly or not would first depend on the breed. What type of ducks do you have? If you want to train them to go in at night you need to do it from day one. I'd place them all in the coop with some feed and then let them come out to explore that way they will see the coop as the place to run back to.

Good luck!!

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    awwww..too cute.

4. USMCwifey

USMCwifey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    WNY
    Quote:That sounds like an awesome idea! Make sense, that way they know where to go for food. The ducks are White Pekins and I believe the one darker chick is a Cochin and the little yellow chick, I'm not too sure? They were in a mixture of different breeds. Any ideas what he/she might be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by