1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My new egg cartons!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ninabeast, Oct 9, 2011.

1. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    My first egg arrived about a month ago; I now have 9 out of 10 hens laying (hurry up, Buffy!!); they are 28 weeks old. We have enough eggs now that I'm giving some away to friends and family. I don't think I'll ever have the quantities or the inclination to really sell them, but I wanted nice packaging for them, nonetheless. That's how I roll.

I bought some of these: http://www.eggcartons.com/Sodesa-6-Egg-Margarita-Carton/productinfo/PLEG-6M/ (A great bargain, but I have no idea where I'm going to store them. 200 is a LOT.), and decided to use my friend's plush toy design, Heedley, as my mascot. For more on Heedley and how we made an 8-foot version of him for the run, click here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6382386

I
    don't have the proper round labels yet, so I printed on larger labels and cut them out by hand. They are, alas, imperfect.

So here is my new packaging, and a shot of how the eggs look inside, each one with the name of the hen who laid it written in pencil. I have really got to get a life, because this stuff makes me so dang HAPPY. My fiance is starting to worry, I think...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Those cartons are very cool.

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Love 'em!!!!

4. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    You know you are a chicken enthusiast when you buy ADORABLE cartoons, hand cut out the lables and mark which egg comes from which chicken. Thumbs Up!

5. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Those are wonderful! I really appreciate your attention to detail. I know you must have happy chickens!

6. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I need to look into buying some of these. I am reusing egg cartons I've been saving since we first bought our chickens. We have quite a few but when they start laying really well, we will run out quickly if my neighbors dont recycle them back to us.

7. DebbieDee

DebbieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Boise
    And I thought I was obsessed.Please share where you get the cute cartons and labels...[​IMG]

8. Nematocyst

Nematocyst Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2011
    I was looking at ordering the exact same cartons. How much space do 200 of them take up?

9. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

That is really nice! Love the "may contain eggs" !! Too funny.

I use paper cartons that were misprints to save money though.

10. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    The cartons came from here: http://www.eggcartons.com/Sodesa-6-Egg-Margarita-Carton/productinfo/PLEG-6M/ , and they are currently on sale for less than half their usual price. They came super quick, and I would say the box is 1' x 1' x 3'.

I cannot take credit for the "May contain eggs". My friend Steve came up with it, and it made me laugh, too.

The cartoon character is one of many created by my best friend Wendy, who is the creator of Naughty Naughty Pets . Heedley was a rooster she had years ago; she rescued him from a kosher butcher in Toronto. If you click on the "Naughty Naughty" page, you will see Heedley in the upper left.

Below are pics of the 8-foot version we made to stand guard outside the run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by