1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My new English Blue Orpington hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cnd8, Jan 12, 2015.

1. cnd8

cnd8 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2014
    I am new to this breed and have been researching like crazy since I purchased her. What can you tell me? She is supposed to be about 8-9 months old and the lady said she should start laying eggs anytime. I just love her look and demeanor. She's so laid back and calm.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CreekWindFarm

CreekWindFarm New Egg

Jan 7, 2015
    midwestern United States
    I have 7 Orpington pullets, 5 buff, 1 blue, & 1 splash, as well as a splash Orpington cockerel. They started laying at 6 months of age. They are now almost 7 months old and I'm getting 4 eggs per day in the coldest of temperatures. My blue pullet is the most stand-offish one of the group! She finally eats out of my hand, but didn't start that till she was 5 months old. There is one buff pullet that practically begs to be picked up. The splash pullet isn't wild about it, either, but the blue one is the only one I can almost never catch. They definitely have their own personalities. One of the buffs hates to walk on the snow. Here is a photo of "Iris", the blue pullet, at just over 3 months old.[​IMG]

3. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by