My new family member

Chickenaddict

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
East Bethel MN
I went to a local snimal swap to sell some roos and ended up coming back with a 6 year old australian blue heeler
hmm.png
She (brittany) is a sweety and for free ya can't really go wrong. Nothing appears to be wrong with her and she is completely house broken. She isn't fixed and is expected to come into heat in january. My plan for this girl is to train her to protect the chickens while they are free ranging, as well as a companion for my lhasa apso while we are away at work. So far the lhasa (gizmo) doesn't seem to mind her unless my DH is petting her then he begins to growl but i figure this is normal and its kind of like chickens establishing a pecking order. Today she is getting a flea bath just to be on the safe side. I don't think the previous owners ever bathed her so i hope she doesn't hate me when i put her in the tub. I got a new digital camera yesturday so i will be posting pics as soon as i figure out how to use it LOL.

Just remember that if you other dog is also not fixed he will move he!! and high water (or maybe just a stool
big_smile.png
) to get to her when she goes into heat.

Have fun with the new pup.

Congrats on your heeler! I have 2, a red and a blue. They truly are great dogs, but require a lot of time and training. My blue heeler is great with the chickens, she'll protect them with her life. Our red boy is just a pup around 4 months old. Can't wait to see the pictures!

outsidewithadam183-1.jpg

chickensgorg058.jpg

new104.jpg

dgos055.jpg

orsanandthegang040-1.jpg

birdsandorson056.jpg

Congratulations on your new dog Rachel!
big_smile.png

And, as always, beautiful pics PP.

Speaking of baths, I used to bathe my dog Tiger about every two weeks, so she was very used to it. Well, one day I was drawing water for a bath for myself, and doing some stuff in the other room. Well, I go in the bathroom to get in the tub, and here is Tiger standing in the water with the faucet still running.
lol.png
lol.png

Quote:
Thanks kris
big_smile.png
I am thrilled to have her. Haven't gotten to the bath yet theres been alot going on. She seems to want to eat the chickens at this point so we will be working on that. She has also gone after my lhasa's neck twice but i think its because he is a grumpy old man and doesn't want to play and she does. I hope she can be trained considering she is 6 years old, she seems to be catching on very quickly.

Quote:
WOW those dogs are adorable!!! your blue looks almost exactly like mine
big_smile.png
Thanks for the pics i will add some as soon as i can figure out how to get them off the new camera lol (blonde moment) I have done alot of reading about this breed and realize she is gonna require alot of time to which i have plenty of lately. Long walks, lots of love, and praise along with kibble as treats to train her i have a long road ahead of me but she is definately a diamond in the rough
big_smile.png
i just hope she doesn't kill my other dog. I kennel her when we are gone and she is not out of my sight when i am home

ETA pics
10663_img_0003.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom