My new feeders!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nursebecky99, Aug 2, 2013.

1. nursebecky99

nursebecky99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Alamance County NC
    [​IMG]
    My dad and son made these for me last week. Based on an idea from BYC, and then I used some scrap 1x4 to make a box with a door to hold them in. I can r emove for refilling and cleaning as needed. One for food, oyster shell and grit.

2. Mark1

Mark1 Out Of The Brooder

Along with a deer feeder that I turned into a chicken feeder, I have several pvc feeders Exactly like yours, they work GREAT. I like the hinged 2x4 support, that's a great idea. One suggestion that might be useful to you, a pvc grate drain with a hole cut out just large enough for a chicken to get her head through. Lowe's and Home Depot have them for about $2 each. It will prevent your hens from slinging the feed all over the ground. It should slip right inside the end of the Y, and no need to glue it.
    Your Dad and Son did a really nice job for you!

3. Mark1

Mark1 Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The opening is turned horizontal in this picture but it works a lot better if it's vertical, it keeps the waste from the hens scattering the feed to a minimum.

4. nursebecky99

May 17, 2012
    Alamance County NC
    That deer feeder setup is pretty neat, I dont have space that big. Only have 4 girls right now. I havent noticed much slinging of food, but I like the grate idea, will look for those at next trip to Lowes.

5. chicks4mom

chicks4mom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2013
    Rosamond Ca
    I love the PVC feeders. Do you suggest inside the coop or outside?

6. nursebecky99

May 17, 2012
    Alamance County NC
    I put my feeder setup inside the coop, to minimize bugs/rodents and moisture from getting in them. My girls seem to be smart enough to go inside the coop when they are hungry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by