My new & first flock! Pictures too!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by secuono, Sep 11, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Ok! So I got these little feather butts Friday, they hated the trip through the Blue Ridge Mountains, lol. There are two males and a total of 7 Hens and about 6-8 chicks. The two males escaped with a hen and a chick. We were able to catch one of the males today after about 2hrs of furious running. They are Black Japanese Bantams, very cute and small. They live in the smaller section of the barn, have a 250watt heat bulb, metal feeder, one 3gal waterer inside and one outside. Once it starts getting very cold, I will bring the other in too. The run is on the small side, I thought a 50ft roll would be enough, no where near enough...
    I plan on saving so in spring I can build a very large run.

But, what should I do in winter? I read they do not do well in wet or cold climates. I'm in VA and it gets pretty cold here in the foot hills of mountains. I don't want to keep them 'cooped' up all winter, help!

Here are pics I took of them today!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't mind the mess, had to put it somewhere since people out here just keep crap and never throw it away...The two doors are in good condition, both metal. If you want them, let me know!
    [​IMG]

This is the planned area for the permanent run if I can save enough by spring. Might be bigger.
    [​IMG]

2. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Lovely birds there! [​IMG]

Well, in winter I would just give them extra straw, clog up all the drafty holes in the coop, have multiple heat lamps... If you do let them go outside, shovel all the snow that may be in the run and then put Vaseline on their toes and combs to keep frostbite away!

3. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Thanks. I will try to get pics when they are out in the run.

4. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

5. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    You will need a top of your run ... Japanese Bantams are good flyers. [​IMG]

7. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    There is a top of bird/deer netting. I know they can fly, 3 escaped the first day before I knew how crafty they can be when they want out. One hen is an excellent flier, 30ft into a tree after a good 50ft across the yard...I'm sure you can figure out how hard it was to catch the only one we could...

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Yep - Those are Japs alright .... [​IMG]

9. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Got an egg 2 days ago, brought it to the house. Today I noticed another egg. Just wondering, could one of the hens be laying to catch them? I have no idea how that works and I don't want them to break it and become egg eaters...
    Also, this egg and the last one were in different spots. Not sure if it's because I stole the last one or another hen.

10. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    There are two eggs in the same nest. Anyone know if a hen is trying for more babies or what?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by