My new flock came today!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rtho88, Jan 23, 2014.

1. rtho88

rtho88 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    My new flock came from ideal today ;)

3 ameraucana pullets
    4 RIR pullets
    2 barred rock pullets
    1 barred rock cockerel

And ....
    12 white leghorn cockerels.

So my first question?? For some reason the "packing peanuts" are dying off, is that common?

2 of my barred rocks died :.( I think it was both pullets.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Congratulations on your new chicks. Sorry about the ones you lost, tough losing the BR pullets, hope the rest do fine. They shouldn't die off just because they are packing peanuts. Sounds like they had a problems or a long trip if you are losing so many the first day. Be really sure they are all eating and drinking (sugar water /electrolyte soln) or something like that grogel since they had a rough trip. Some people like to feed them hard boiled egg also.

3. rtho88

Oct 11, 2013
    Thanks. I did order the grojel and they loved it. This morning everyone is happy ;) and they look stronger than when they got here. The weather was great when I ordered but it's been under 15 degrees for the most part during their birth and ship.

My other question is how do I tell an Easter egger from an ameraucana? From what I've read my ameraucanas look like Easter eggers. They are from IDEAL.

4. tatertot

tatertot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Be sure next
    Time you give new chicks warm sugar water to help them raise their body temp

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Ideal will replace the pullets that died, but they'll send more peanuts with them.

Also, they have EEs, not Ams. I've had them, they're nice birds, but Ameraucanas they are not. Good luck with your chicks!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Glad to hear the chicks are doing well today. Ya, the cold weather is really hard on them, hopefully now that they are warmed up and eating/drinking they should be fine. X2 I believe Ideal only sells what are technically Easter Eggers. Ameraucana have to meet a breed standard regarding color etc. http://www.ameraucana.org/index.html

7. rtho88

Oct 11, 2013
    Gotcha. Well today I've got 8 of the 10 I ordered and 5 of the packing peanut leghorns. There's one peanut in question of being a girl though ;) she's feathering differently than the other ones.

8. tatertot

tatertot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Post a pic of male chick...and might be female

9. rtho88

Oct 11, 2013

I will tonight.

This is all my new kidos
    [​IMG]

10. WoodenCoyote

WoodenCoyote Out Of The Brooder