1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My new flock meeting neighbours flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Laika, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Laika

Laika Just Hatched

Mar 4, 2014
    Scotland
    Apologies if this is a ridiculous question [​IMG]
    I'm all set to get my first hens. I live on a country estate but have an enclosed garden. I know my hens will hop the fence but my worry is, will they be ok with my neighbours two, free range, old ladies and cockerel? Ideally, I'd like them all to wander freely.
    Many thanks [​IMG]

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

should be fine as long as they aren't housed together although the rooster may try to mate with them. But if they are all the same size and they have room to run it will be fine

ETA you do for a week keep them locked up in their own coop so they know where home is....then roaming is fine.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Alicatt

Alicatt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2013
    catskills, New York
    If I were you I would keep my chickens locked in their coop until they knew where home was. A week or so. My sister would gain guinea hens from her neighbors flocks, they would just show up. I would be afraid that they would integrate easily, Outside anyway, because they are flock animals. And I wouldn't trust their rooster not to steal them. This is my first year with chickens, not claiming to know anything. This is just my opinion!!!

Of course if you are getting more than 4 hens, don't think they would go to small flock, you might gain a rooster!!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. ScottyChic

ScottyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

They may get along with your neighbours poultry but wouldn't it just be a better idea to raise your fence a little higher?
    More than likely it would be the Cockerel who would be liable to jump the fence first. [​IMG]
    How do you think your neighbours will feel to have your hens on her land? Are you friends?
    Something for you to think about.

1 person likes this.
  5. Laika

Laika Just Hatched

Mar 4, 2014
    Scotland
    Wow - amazing advice, thank you all so much [​IMG]
    My neighbours flock are free range on the estate - I'd like mine to be too [​IMG]
    Napoleon, my neighbours cockerel is an old boy with bad feet so not sure how he'll be with my young uns [​IMG]
    My girls will be the same size as my neighbours
    I'll definitely think about raising the fence for a bit, till they're settled

Many, many thanks again - hopefully I'll have my first flock by next week - so excited!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. ScottyChic

Hi

You mentioned that your neighbours flock are free range on the estate - and you'd like yours to be too.

One thing that i would worry about is 'roaming dogs' - as you know, here in Scotland people have the 'right to roam' - meaning that more than likely you will get dog-walkers. Now any roaming dogs that happen to come across a 'roaming hen' could end up a recipe for disaster as most dogs will go for hens.

I personally would not want my hens away-a-roaming.

I'm guessing that you must have a reasonable sized garden/piece of land.

Just size up the situation, you know whether you get many dogs and walkers in your area. But do you take the risk?

Enjoy your hens when you get them. What breed are they or are they Hybrids for egg laying?

7. Laika

Laika Just Hatched

Mar 4, 2014
    Scotland
    I actually work on the estate ScottyChic and know that the land owner is your ferocious old school type [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It's a game estate, and out of control dogs have been shot here in the past - hence - there's very, very little through traffic......

8. ScottyChic

As long as you feel secure and more importantly KNOW that your hens will be safe.

However - saying that, there will be the threat from mink and otters ( as long as you are within a 12 mile range of the sea/rivers) - otters can travel over 12 miles and have a fairly large territory.

Living and working on an Estate then you will be aware of all this.

9. ScottyChic

Oh I do like those ~~ferocious old school types.

We have the same here where I live.

10. Klutch

Klutch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2014
    West Sacramento
    Don't forget the dominant cock will add the ladies to his harem, which is fair in free roam. So no hard feelings:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by