My new flock Qs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 6girl, Jan 30, 2014.

1. 6girl

6girl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2014
    Golden, CO
    I got my ISA browns about 10 days ago, 10 hens. I got them from a guy who got them from a guy, you get the picture! They are 8 mo or so and I'm getting 2 eggs a day right now, so my questions are: when can I expect all of the gals to be laying? Also, a few of the chickens are smaller, does that mean they're younger? They are pretty tame and friendly, a few are squatting, not sure if that means I'm alpha or they are getting ready to lay. Since I've never had chickens before I really appreciate your words of wisdom! This forum has been a great go-to, tons of info here. Thanks.

2. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    welcome to BYC and chickens!

Squatting does mean they are sexually mature, and they are deferring to you as a rooster. When my hens squat for me, I just ruffle their back, they shake it off and go about their business.

At that age, they should be laying ...moves can cause an interruption in laying for a week or so.If they were in a larger flock, you sometimes find more docile hens that are smaller because growing up, they didn't fight their way to feed. Or could be they are smaller just because of their individual growth/genetics.

Another possibility is that the guy was hatching batches, and the smaller are just a bit younger than the others.

And, it is possible for some hens (this is pretty infrequent) to just never lay. not likely but it does happen.

Enjoy your chickens and take the advice here with a grain of salt - use your common sense.

One piece of advice, try to check your hens out thoroughly about once a week. That means, while on the roost, pick them up and look them over. Check for mites/lice, look at the bum, feet - you just want to get used to normal conditions and to be able to spot problems early.

They are easier to handle on the roost. If you have a headlamp, you'll find it super easy to do it by yourself.

Good luck!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Can you post a pic of them?

4. 6girl

6girl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2014
    Golden, CO
    Thanks, I'll start the inspections tonight. I just got an egg with a soft shell this morning and had a lash egg last week, so I'm getting an education for sure.

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    My girls have taken about the last 3 months off and just in the past 10 days have started laying with some regularity. I did add a string of christmas light to their coop to add 2 more hours of light. Don't know if that did the trick or just the days are naturally getting longer so things are picking up. The odd eggs would make me think someone is just starting to lay. Do the smaller pullets also have more immature combs and waddles? You probably have some younger ones in the mix.

don't get too impatient. In another month, you will be choking on eggs wishing they'd slow down a bit.

6. 6girl

6girl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2014
    Golden, CO
    Lol! If they all get busy I will be choking for sure! 6 eggs today, yay!

@Rachel, not sure how to post pics but will try.

7. Percheron chick

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    The lack of eggs probably had more to do with the stress of moving than anything else.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You may not be able to yet... I don't know how many posts you need before the system will allow you to post pics. Welcome to BYC and enjoy your flock!

9. 6girl

6girl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2014
    Golden, CO
    Percheron Chick, did you go to the draft horse show at NWSS? There were some gorgeous teams there.

10. Percheron chick

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I had spent 3 days working the big thunder show the week before so I was showed out. Most all of the same hitches were up there. Because ss was the NA Championship 6 horse hitch there were some of the absolute best out here. That's some serious $$.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by