My new girl

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by fuzziebutt, Jan 19, 2010.

1. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    Well, not long ago, my barn burned, and killed 2 of my 30 chickens. My babies. What didn't get killed living in the wild until I could get them another pen built, half of them got killed by some kind of predator that got in at night. I gave the rest of them away to someone that had a secure place to keep them. It broke my heart to have 30 spoiled rotten babies one day, then less than a week later, none. I still went to the coop every day for about 2 weeks, just because I always did. I gathered feathers, and have them as keepsakes. I have started walking for my health, and in a wooded lot about a half a mile from my house lives a wild bantam hen. I don't know what kind she is, she has a small red comb, and is black with white hackles. I take a piece of bread with me each day, and she will come out of the woods when I call "chick, chick". It took a few days of me just feeding the hedgebushes (good thing the neighbors already know that I am crazy) before she would come out for me. Now she waits for me! She won't eat out of my hand, but she will get as close as arm's reach. But there is no catching her. I really don't want to, because I know that I have no place for her, and she seems safer there than at my place! But how wonderful to have a chicken in my life again!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Great story!

Warms my heart.

3. specklesmom

specklesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    So sorry about your babies!! Could you make friends with the wild bantam and move her inside with you? Maybe to a sunporch, a laundry room or some area you could dedicate to chicken culture? She would be safe and you'd be happy!!

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

What a sweet story. [​IMG] I'm sorry about your loss of your chickens. [​IMG] You can say one thing though, it makes your walk that much nicer, knowing you will see "your" little girl as you go out and get exercise. [​IMG] thanks for sharing.

5. gretchenhau

gretchenhau Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Lebanon Ohio
    Can't you catch her and bring her to a real home?

6. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    Right now, she won't let me close enough to catch her. And really, where she is, she is safer than if she were here. Remember, I gave away the ones I love so that they would be safe. I could move her in the house, but I would have to move hubby out. Maybe this spring, we will build another coop. But for now, I am thinking probably not. Chickens are too fragile, and I get too attached. So, I'll just keep feeding Lucy Lou from a distance. I took her a Hostess Cupcake, and she is now a cream filling hooch. And I took her some water, even though she is beside a branch. Or creek, depending on where you are from! And if she were here at the house, my mile a day walks would be over. And I still have too much junk in my trunk to quit now!

7. specklesmom

specklesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    That cream filling is probably made out of a mix of polyester and toxic sludge, but at times, it does fill a certain craving. Are you positive your husband would move out if you move her in? Maybe you could just sneak a carrier into the garage and let her live there between your walk times, then day by day see if he notices as there is a third for dinner.....How observant are most guys anyway?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by