My New Girls Have Arrived.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Droitwich, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Droitwich

Droitwich New Egg

Jan 4, 2014
    I have bought Four Orpingtons and Two Barnevelder's from a Breeder last Saurday - one of the Orpingtons passed away after two days of arriving at my Home, it was quite weak and seemed to be off balance - I contacted the Breeder and said that when we arrived home with the birds that one of orpington's seemed unwell - she said it was because i transported them on a two hour journey and it probably got stood on...????

I was so annoyed with the remarks of the breeder..... I put the four Orpington girls in a large carrier case and kept the two Barnevelders separate (because this is how they were housed in the breeders care)...

She then tried to blame me for the Bird dying....

When i informed her the bird was week she asked for me to bring the Orpington back to her to put in her ''sick bay'' i informed her that it was a two hour drive to get there and that i didn't think it was fair for the bird to travel the distance and i would be taking it to our local vet the next day - but unfortunately she died..... I am so upset about her passing away as she did'nt have chance to experience a Free Range Lifestyle within our home and both myself and my husband would have given her such a different experience than what she lived in with her breeder.

Each Bird I picked up from her was in an over crowed coop and they all have Feathers missing - when they got back to our house they experienced Grass for the first time and over the week they have been with us they are steadily feeling safe when we pick them up and handle them and stoke them.

The Breeder purely has no respect for her animals and to blame me for the death is extremely upsetting, I told her that my birds live in luxury now and she said they wouldn't know what luxury was and would be happy to live in a coop as they wouldn't know the difference.!!! I really think they would know the difference - but ''apparently'' i'm not experienced enough (in the breeders view) to know what i'm talking about...???

I would like to also ask your views on what I can put on the Girls skins where they have been pecked in order to make it heal...?

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hello & welcome!
    What an awful woman!! I guess you won't be recommending her as a 'go to' breeder - sorry about the chicks tho'.
    Soap & water for cleaning and a topical antibiotic ointment should do the trick. If you have issues with other birds picking at the wounds try some Blukote or other anti-pick spray.
    Some extra protein - cat kibble, mealworms etc. will help the healing & feathering process, also add some probiotic yoghurt to some oatmeal or such to help their immune system.
    Best of luck with the girls, Sue

1 person likes this.
  3. chickenneighbor

chickenneighbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Maine
    Sounds like your girls are lucky you found them. Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  4. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Sorry about your experience. Glad your girls have a good home now! As long as they don't have mites, or any other skin disease I would think they will heal on their own. If they have missing feathers they will regrow them. You would be shocked at the things that chickens can survive. You should find lots of great info here at BYC!

1 person likes this.
  5. Droitwich

Droitwich New Egg

Jan 4, 2014
    Thankyou so much for your feedback. All I want is for my Girls to be Healthy and Happy...

6. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Welcome...sorry for your loss and bad experience with the breeder. Glad the girls now have a good home. Would love to see pictures of them.

1 person likes this.
  7. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Welcome to BYC!

First off, sorry you had a bad experience with the breeder. I'm sure your girls really do live in luxury now and know that it is!

Secondly, I have always used either Blu-kote or Rooster Booster Anti-Peck Ointment to help my chickens' skin injuries heal. They are both colored blue/purple, so they will also cover up the color of blood and there fore the other chickens will be less attracted to further pecking her wounds. Both work great and help them (from my experience).[​IMG]

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How sad the breeder had that sort of attitude. Unfortunately, just like in dog breeding, you will run into folks who are breeding for profit, and will sell anything they can. If the situation is truly dire, try reporting this breeder to Animal control.

Sorry for the loss of your hen.

1 person likes this.
  9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Excellent advice. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by