My new hatch has me wondering about sex-linked genetics.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cupman, Feb 23, 2012.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I am in the process of hatching eggs. So far I have hatched 6. 3 were yellow 3 were black. The father is a barred rock and the mothers vary. Golden sex links, white leghorn, RIR, buff orpington, easter eggers and more. I asked about sex-link with barred rock rooster before and people said you can't. I am not saying they are wrong but what could cause all these mixtures of birds to only form black and yellow chicks?

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    the yellow ones are from the white leghorn hen.. so no sex links

why? well if he is pure barred rock then he should be Extended Black(E/E) and should be solid black if not for the sex link barring gene.. Extended black is dominant to ALL other "e" alleles. golden sex links are eWh(wheaten) buff orps are alos wheaten, RIR. could be wheaten or eb(partridge) Easter eggers are a genetic rullet. but unless they are black they are not dominant over Extended Black(E)...

but how is the leghorn dominant over Extended black? well the white leghorns should be also extended black or Birchen.. but they also carry Dominant white which is dominant to black and making them white instead of black or barred...

so the white ones are from the white leghorn hens, the black ones are not sexable, we will not be able to tell from which hen the come from untill they are growing up..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by