My new hawk/racoon proof chicken pen!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sjisty, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    After losing 9 chickens in 8 days (yes, days not nights) to a raccoon, the traps are still empty, but I have something better ...

[​IMG]

It's 16 x 16, kind of small for my remaining 18 chickens, but it's all we could afford with DH out of work. We are planning another as we can do it. It spans both coops so they will still be locked in at night. So far it has a wire roof, but eventually we are thinking a tin roof might be better for protection from the weather. By the time he is finished, it will have a converted wooden ladder for perching, too.

2. chesapeakechick

chesapeakechick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Warwick, Maryland
    Looks good!

3. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    That should do well to keep coons at bay. I had a problem some years back losing young chickens to a hawk during the daytime. I had a run, but no roof or wire on top.

4. Troyerbuilding

Troyerbuilding On Vacation

Aug 30, 2009
    Hartville OH
    Where is Brookville?

I am always concerned about predators, but nothing yet. Except the hen that got over the fence, while we were gone for two days. My kids found her legs and an egg 20 yards away in the weeds. They thought the hen got so scared she laid an egg in the weeds before her demise.

Anyways, I guess one day I may roof the run off, like my father in law suggests. Until then, the girls saw what happened to the last bird that flew the coop.

5. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Brooksville is in Central Florida, about 50 miles north of Tampa. We love it here! Can't get a pizza delivered, though, 'cause we're too far out in the boonies.

6. Troyerbuilding

Troyerbuilding On Vacation

Aug 30, 2009
    Hartville OH
    Always interested in other areas and what elements hens are subjected to.

I see hawks every day and had coons hanging out by our garage, never trouble with any.

Neighbor lost about seven to something, but so far so good.

7. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Remember, every coop is predator RESISTANT, not predator PROOF. [​IMG] Best of luck and I hope you catch that coon!

8. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:What are you using for bait in the traps and are you using cages or foot traps?

Paul

9. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    The trapper put sardines in the traps (cages). We just tonight put in leftover cinnamon rolls. Tomorrow I will go into town and get something better. Marshmallows have been suggested.

10. mzfancichicks

mzfancichicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    I hope you don't mind me butting in the conversation, I got my tin from where I work...the Recycle Center... we take all kinds of metal and someone brought in some rolls of it (they had already "glued" it together). You might check with your recycle center or even scrap metal places.... We just mostly used the same holes... saved some money. It's also a good place for paint, caulking, etc.....
    Hope this helps...

Your pen looks great !!!... I'm sorry about the chickens [​IMG] It's good you have someone.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by